Rough-legged Hawk

Charlie Nims

Dec 5, 2021, 4:05:45 PM12/5/21
to NH Birds
This morning, along with Jane Sender and Kathy Seymour, I headed up the Rte. 16 corridor from Gorham to Milan which was very quiet, no boreal finches other than Purple Finches on Chickwolnepy Rd. in Milan. But we did have a “bird of the day”.

As we were coming out of Berlin on Hutchins St., between the Perry St. transfer station(?) and Success Pond Rd., I saw a large object in a tree by the road, at first thinking it was a nest, I quickly realized that it was a buteo. We stopped, Kathy looked out the car window saying it’s not a Red-tailed Hawk to which I replied, “make it into a Rough-legged”. Well sure enough, it was a Rough-legged Hawk!! The bird flew to a utility pole, perching on top. Given no place to park, we pulled forward to Success Pond Rd., walked back taking a few pics of the bird on the pole. Shortly, the bird flew away allowing me to get some flight photos as the bird disappeared to the east. We searched down Success Pond Rd. but without “success" in relocating it. Photos posted to eBird.

The Milan meat pile had lots of deer carcasses but no eagles. We did have a Red-tailed Hawk there as well as an earlier Bald Eagle along River Rd. near the Berlin\Milan town line.

Charlie Nims
Bartlett, NH