Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (25 Sep 2022) 34 Raptors

rep...@hawkcount.org

Sep 25, 2022, 9:08:10 PM9/25/22
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 25, 2022
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture011
Turkey Vulture01717
Osprey5100102
Bald Eagle2102104
Northern Harrier03131
Sharp-shinned Hawk10519524
Cooper's Hawk26666
Northern Goshawk033
Red-shouldered Hawk01717
Broad-winged Hawk1289308942
Red-tailed Hawk077
Rough-legged Hawk000
Golden Eagle011
American Kestrel29091
Merlin06668
Peregrine Falcon11818
Unknown Accipiter011
Unknown Buteo000
Unknown Falcon000
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor01314
Total:34998210007

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:30:00
Total observation time: 6.42 hours
Official CounterLevi Burford
Observers: Danielle Lampe, Katrina Fenton, Meade Cadot, Mike Gebo

Visitors:
103 visitors today.

Weather:
Warm and less wind than the last several days. A little sun becoming overcast for the afternoon. We quit by 3:25 pm when the rain began in earnest and we lost visibility.

Raptor Observations:
We broke 10,000 birds for the season, a nice mile stone for any season. Our 10,000th bird was - drum roll, please - brrrrrrrrrrrrrr - A PEREGRINE FALCON. This seemed to deviate from most years when it is a Sharp-shinned or Broad-winged Hawk. Good bird! Otherwise, the day was about sporradic birds that tend to come before a storm. Falcons and Osprey with a few Sharpies and Broad-winged Hawks. Not a bad today. Non-migrants today included 2 Red-tailed Hawks, and 8 Turkey Vultures.

Non-raptor Observations:
Migrants: 78 Blue Jays in two groups, impressive over North Pack 5 Canada Geese were going north. Warblers included: Black-and-White, Nashville, Palm, Yellow-rumped, and Black-throated Green.

Predictions:
A forecast of rain seems to have become sun. Go figure. But the wind looks iffy, coming moderate from the southwest. Maybe there will be some migration tomorrow.

Report submitted by Levi Burford (lbbu...@plymouth.edu)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at: www.harriscenter.org
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]