Re: sandhill cranes

Francie Von Mertens

Nov 20, 2021, 4:21:04 PM11/20/21
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Sandhill cranes! So eager for information (conjecture?) about how a flock of 33 forms. Origin of members? Recruitment? Staging area (cornfield known to all?)?
Iain? Pam?

Francie Von Mertens, Peterborough, who wishes she’d been looking up when they flew over.

ROBERT F CROWLEY

Nov 21, 2021, 1:11:20 PM11/21/21
to 329france, Sandy Turner, Andrea Robbins, nhbirds
In Fryeburg, Maine, just over the border a 1000 yards, I believe we had a pair raise a young one this summer. The yearly migrants arrived on September 4 and quickly grew to 38 who were there daily reaching a high of 40 November 19. Yesterday there were just 10. Have they started south? Are these these the ones being seen over NH? Spring and Fall Fryeburg is the Sandhill Crane Capitol of New England. They are seldom seen in our adjoining New Hampshire fields. Common in Maine, rare in New Hampshire.

Bob Crowley
Chatham, NH