Olive-sided Flycatcher - Alton

Rob Woodward

Jun 18, 2024, 9:55:58 AMJun 18
to NHBirds Group
On  10 June I found an Olive-sided Flycatcher in Merrymeeting Marsh in Alton, one of the largest wetlands in Belknap County. I had a hunch it was not a migrant so I needed to come back later to see if it was still present.

Today I returned and there it was singing away in the same area as last week.  By good fortune, his back was turned to me for photographs and you can see the diagnostic  white tufts on either side of the rump.  It is definitely singing on territory but I'm afraid that is the closest I can get to confirming a rare breeding record for Belknap  County.

It's possible this bird is audible from Stockbridge Corner Road but it is only visible by boat.

Rob Woodward
Laconia, NH