10 SPECIES OF WARBLERS THIS WEEKEND (with 9 today)!

Steve Mirick

Dec 5, 2021, 6:20:43 PM12/5/21
to nhbirds
Jane and I ended up with a mind-blowing 10 species of warblers this
weekend including 9 species of warblers today alone!!!!!  To put this in
perspective, last winter produced 10 total species for the entire State
for the entire winter season (December through February) and that total
was presumed to be a record for NH (Towler & Sparrell in NH Bird Records
in publication).  Most winter seasons only 4 to 7 species of warblers
are recorded in NH.  I personally added two warbler species today that I
had never seen in December before today.....I've now seen 19 species of
Warblers in December in the State.

The warbler total for today (with new warblers for us in caps):

Orange-crowned Warbler - Surprisingly showed up again at the Hampton
WTP!  Hadn't been seen since 11/28!
Northern Parula - Continuing at Hampton WTP.  2nd latest record for NH.
BLACKPOLL WARBLER - RECORD LATE AND FIRST DECEMBER RECORD for NH! Off
Church Road in Rye.
Palm Warbler - Continuing at Hampton WTP.
Pine Warbler - Off Church Road in Rye.
Yellow-rumped Warbler - Just one at Hampton WTP
Prairie Warbler - Continuing at Hampton WTP.  NOW A RECORD LATE DATE for NH.
Black-throated Green Warbler - Continuing at Hampton WTP.  2nd latest
record for NH.
WILSON'S WARBLER - Beautiful male found by Angie Norton in Newmarket.
FINALLY found it after a lot of searching late this afternoon!  3rd
latest for NH and my first December record.

The only warbler we didn't see today was the Townsend's Warbler. Too
bad, but we searched hard on Church Road with Jeremiah Trimble and Jason
Lambert but couldn't find it.  Instead we ended up find a new Pine
Warbler and the Blackpoll Warbler!!

Photos from today of the Prairie, Blackpoll, and Wilson's can be found
on my Flickr page.  And if you scroll down, you'll see the other warblers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA