Star Island

eric masterson

Sep 25, 2022, 9:50:09 PM9/25/22
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
The first trip of the fall was supposed to run from last Friday to
today, but it was blown out by Hurricane Fiona, though I managed to
get Greg Tillman on island with a couple who had flown in from the
midwest. They reported good birds, including Yellow-billed Cuckoo,
Yellow-breasted Chat, Clay-colored Sparrow, and Lark Sparrow. I
arrived today with another group and we managed to connect with Greg's
Clay-colored Sparrow. Two separate flyovers of American Golden Plover
were noteworthy, but the bird of the day, a juvenile Seaside Sparrow
was found in the evening. A first for the island to the best of my
knowledge (#284) and the 21st species of nearctic sparrow for the
island.

Full list and pics at https://ebird.org/checklist/S119429193

Charlie Nims

Sep 25, 2022, 10:17:04 PM9/25/22
to nhbirds
Rick Steber, Joe Scott and I are on Eric Masterson’s 3 day trip to Star Island. Today, we did not get started on the island until ~2 pm but had a very good day. On the way out, I had a group of ~15 Bonaparte’s Gulls along with a Laughing Gull as well as a couple of Common Loons and several Northern Gannets.

While warblers seemed to be in small numbers, the highlight for us were the sparrows, highlighted by a Seaside Sparrow found and ID’ed late afternoon by Eric. At one spot, earlier in the afternoon, we had 6 different sparrow family members highlighted by 2 Clay-colored Sparrows and a Lincoln’s Sparrow. But, of course the Seaside Sparrow was the highlight which took quite a while to get decent looks and photos (posted to eBird).

Finally, we were also able to find the juvenile Glossy Ibis found yesterday by Greg Tillman.

All-in-all, a great start to our Star Island\Isles of Shoals birding trip.

Charlie Nims
Bartlett, NH

eric masterson

Sep 26, 2022, 8:40:52 PM9/26/22
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Another classic fall day on Star Island. The Seaside Sparrow
continued, the Clay-colored Sparrow count rose to five birds roaming
in a tight flock. American Oystercatchers also appeared in a group of
five, one yellow-billed cuckoo, and extremely brief views of a
White-eyed Vireo.

Full lists (morning and afternoon) at the following links.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S119466608
https://ebird.org/checklist/S119483668