Sandwich & Moultonborough birds (pintail, siskins, lingering birds)

Ken Klapper

Nov 30, 2021, 7:00:05 PM11/30/21
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
I headed out for one last adventure for Carroll County’s November Challenge today, and was quite fortunate in finding some uncommon birds. None were “new” for Nov 2021, but it was a fun day, nonetheless.

The highlight was a drake Northern Pintail at Berry Pond in Moultonborough - seen from Skyline Drive (the south end of the pond is almost completely frozen). Back home, the little park next to Sandwich Town Hall was surprisingly birdy and hosted a late Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Chipping Sparrow, and least one Pine Siskin, among others. North Sandwich did not disappoint, with several more siskins and two adult male Red-winged Blackbirds at Thompson Sanctuary and a hen Ring-necked Pheasant at Ambrose (though I missed the late Savannah Sparrow that Bob Ridgely found there on Saturday). Squam and Winni held no big surprises, though it was good to see a few nice sized (40-50) feeding flocks of Common Mergansers.

Good Birding!
Ken Klapper
Sandwich, NH