Chickadee behavior

Jane Rice

Nov 30, 2022, 2:12:16 PM11/30/22
to NH Birds
I went for a walk this morning before the rain started, and I saw some chickadee behavior that was unusual, at least in my experience. It was perched on the electric wires and worked its way along for probably 50 feet or so, perching and then hanging upside down to examine the underside of the wire, then moving along a couple of feet and again going inverted on the wire to peck at something on the lower side. After about 50 feet, it came to the pole and checked that out, then continued the same behavior along the wire for at least another hundred feet. This all took a couple of minutes, so it must have been finding something worthwhile, either tiny water droplets or some kind of food items.

Jane Rice
Moultonborough

Christian Martin

Nov 30, 2022, 2:17:39 PM11/30/22
to moul...@hotmail.com, NH Birds

Maybe gleaning bugs from hard-to-see spider webs?

- Chris Martin (New London/Concord)

---