31 Raptors - Belknap Mountain

Rob Woodward

Sep 20, 2023, 7:01:12 PM9/20/23
to NHBirds Group
After 2 poor counts at Alton Bay on Tuesday and Sunday I wanted to try a new place.  There is a small clearing near the upper parking lot on Belknap Mountain.  The view is deep but not as wide as I thought it would be so the view is too limited.  Almost all birds were ones and twos, no kettles.  Some were at the limit of visibility high overhead so  there must have been some thermal activity.  Between 9:00 and 3:00 I only counted 31 raptors, mostly Sharp-shins and Broad-wings.

But it was nice and peaceful up there today, only one visitor, with none of the questions like I get at Alton Bay, like: "Are you drawing?  Are you an artist?"  "Me?  An artist??  Are you an alien?"  There's no end to the questions!

In reviewing the data from 4 years at Alton Bay the biggest counts happen on days with light northerly winds, NE or NW, doesn't matter.  Strong winds supposedly knock down thermals.  Tomorrow's forecast calls for light NW winds, at least intitially, turning Westerly.  I am returning to Alton Bay tomorrow for what will be the last chance for a triple digit count this year.  Let's see what happens.

Rob Woodward
Laconia, NH