9 whip-poor-wills - Barnstead

1 view

Rob Woodward

Jul 15, 2024, 10:46:27 PM (3 hours ago) Jul 15
to NHBirds Group
Last night and this evening I ran some surveys for Eastern Whip-poor-will in Barnstead, now known to  be the stronghold for this species in Belknap County.  A cluster of 6 was centered, not surprisingly, on the sand and gravel pit on Sam Clark Road, off Rte 126 a few miles below the village center.  The other 3 were found within 1 1/2 miles of this site.

By way of comparison, I have searched the upper part of Belknap, namely Meredith, Sanbornton, and New Hampton, with only 1 bird found.  There are still a few other areas to  check but that area doesn't have much of the sandy piney habitat like Barnstead has.  Even in a small county like Belknap, there are plenty of areas I will never get to that may harbor this secretive species..

Rob Woodward
Laconia, NH