Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (30 Sep 2022) 76 Raptors

rep...@hawkcount.org

Sep 30, 2022, 7:48:05 PM9/30/22
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 30, 2022
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture011
Turkey Vulture07474
Osprey0118120
Bald Eagle3122124
Northern Harrier23636
Sharp-shinned Hawk38609614
Cooper's Hawk98383
Northern Goshawk144
Red-shouldered Hawk12323
Broad-winged Hawk793199331
Red-tailed Hawk31515
Rough-legged Hawk000
Golden Eagle011
American Kestrel8112113
Merlin27173
Peregrine Falcon12323
Unknown Accipiter011
Unknown Buteo011
Unknown Falcon000
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor11718
Total:761063010655

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours
Official CounterLevi Burford
Observers: Glen Chretien, Lori-Ann Chretien

Visitors:
72 folks came by the watch and got to enjoy some good views of leaves starting to change as well as a few migrant birds of prey.

Weather:
The day had light wind from the east and evidence of strong uplift in the heat-shimmer in our scopes. It was actually pretty comfortable and I was able to take off my jacket for the first time in several weeks.

Raptor Observations:
The cosmos waited until there was enough thermal energy around lunch before sending a steady stream of Sharp-shinned Hawks and others toddling along down the ridge past the watch platform. Bird of the day was the last bird of the day. Glen and I watched an adult Peregrine Falcon come in from the east. The bird circled and streamed, circled and streamed until it was west of North Pack. Glen had the patience to watch its path and got to witness the action, while I was doomed to scan the nothingness for Sharp-shinned Hawks and got to hear about it: The Peregrine circled a few more times and then stooped upon an unidentified bird, hitting it mid-air. The bird dropped down with Glen's scope following it and he lost sight of the attacker and attackee. It sounded like watching some sort of documentary or something without Sir David Attenborough's commentary. Non-migrants for the day included: 7 Turkey Vultures, 3 Red-tailed Hawks, 1 Cooper's Hawk, and 1 Red-shouldered Hawk.

Non-raptor Observations:
Migrants: 26 Canada Geese 2 Northern Flickers 21 Blue Jays in one group It was a quiet day so sound carried further today and there were times when it was obvious that nearly every grove of trees around the platform had Yellow-rumped Warblers associating with them. I could only find one Cape May in the bunch. We had a few more Pine Siskins today and some more White-throated Sparrows graced our viewing area. We've had a White-breasted Nuthatch hanging around the last two days at least which is not quite an annual occurance.

Predictions:
Looks like an interesting weather forecast for the weekend. The migration on Saturday will probably depend on whether the sun can break through the clouds enough to create some thermal uplift. Sunday's northeast wind will probably drive the migrants. We haven't really had a good northeast wind this year yet. We'll see if the sun comes out at all on Sunday.

Report submitted by Levi Burford (lbbu...@plymouth.edu)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at: www.harriscenter.org
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]