L. Scaup, L-t. Duck, R-b Merganser in Meredith

Iain Macleod

Dec 4, 2021, 6:04:19 PM12/4/21
to nhbirds
Birding can be a cruel pastime. I found two birds today that we missed in the November challenge for Belknap.

I did a late day loop through Meredith (the long way home from the Science Center in Holderness to Sandwich).

3:30-4:00 At Meredith Town Docks:
Lesser Scaup 1 female (photos in ebird checklist)
Common Loon 1

4:00 At Leavitt Beach
Long-tailed Duck 1 (missed in November) right off the beach feeding with Goldeneye.

4:15 at end of Brookhurst Lane (just north of Leavitt Beach)
Red-breasted Merganser - 1 with a flock of 26 Common Mergansers. It was the last bird in a single-file flotilla. Light was so poor that I could only manage some long range digiscope videos. This was another bird that was missed in November.

Three good Lakes Region ducks on the way home.

Iain MacLeod
Center Sandwich, NH