Another big day at Odiorne (lots of White-throats and Yellow-rumps, "gray-cheeked" Thrush, TWO cuckoos, 15 sp of warblers)

Steve Mirick

Sep 29, 2022, 7:01:51 PM9/29/22
to NHBirds
Jane (on vacation) and I spent all day at Odiorne today.  Had a fun time
as the radar suggested a good coastal flight with light NW winds
overnight.  We ended up spending 8 hours walking the trails and looking
offshore.  Covering all of the park, we ended up with about 92 species,
and MISSED a few good birds reported by others today including
Orange-crowned Warbler, Common Nighthawk, and Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Highlights for us were a GRAY-CHEEKED / BICKNELL'S THRUSH, TWO species
of Cuckoos, the now routine female KING EIDER, 8 Lincoln's Sparrows and
15 species of warblers!

Our ebird list with a few photos:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S119669650

and total list below:

Canada Goose  31
Mallard  1
American Black Duck  1     Migrating.
Green-winged Teal  4     Together on ocean near Frost Point.
KING EIDER  1     Continuing female.
Common Eider  17
Surf Scoter  1     Adult male.
White-winged Scoter  1
Wild Turkey  13
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO  1     Along bike path toward north end.
BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO  1     Photos.  Not far from the YBCU.
Semipalmated Plover  3
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Bonaparte's Gull  30
Laughing Gull  2     Both juveniles.
Ring-billed Gull  40
Herring Gull  26
Lesser Black-backed Gull  1     Woody
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Common Loon  4
Northern Gannet  4
Double-crested Cormorant  168
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  1
Snowy Egret  3
Turkey Vulture  8
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  2
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  7
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4     At least.  2 flew off to the north off
Frost Point and then circled back to the point.  Odd.
Downy Woodpecker  5
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  3
Merlin  4
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2     Both photographed.
Empidonax sp.  1     Almost certainly a Least.  Rather bold eye-ring.
Eastern Phoebe  37     Careful count.  Tons of Phoebes!
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  6
Blue Jay  16
American Crow  3
Common Raven  1
Black-capped Chickadee  11
Tufted Titmouse  3
Tree Swallow  9     Appeared to be migrating south.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  9
Golden-crowned Kinglet  4
Red-breasted Nuthatch  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Brown Creeper  2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  8     Several singing.
European Starling  3
Gray Catbird  15
Northern Mockingbird  2
Eastern Bluebird  5
GRAY-CHEEKED / BICKNELL'S THRUSH  1     Some brownish tones to this bird
make me at least raise the question that this could be a BITH. Hard to
tell with the dappled lighting.
Swainson's Thrush  9     At least this many.  4 visible at the same time
in poke weed berries.  My 2nd highest fall total.
Hermit Thrush  1     With rather bold eye ring.
Catharus sp.  2     At least 2 elusive thrushes.  Both likely SWTH.
American Robin  1
Cedar Waxwing  8
House Finch  3
American Goldfinch  4
Chipping Sparrow  12
Dark-eyed Junco  2
White-crowned Sparrow  2     Both juveniles.
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW  104     Big influx of WTSP.
Savannah Sparrow  9
Song Sparrow  24
Lincoln's Sparrow  8
Swamp Sparrow  7
Eastern Towhee  2
Ovenbird  1
Black-and-white Warbler  7
Nashville Warbler  5     Two together along boy scout trail, but no luck
with OCWA seen earlier.
Common Yellowthroat  15
American Redstart  7
Northern Parula  9
Magnolia Warbler  1
BAY-BREASTED WARBLER  1     Jane only.  She reports good views, but
brief.  Distinct warm buff on flanks of Blackpoll-like bird.
Blackburnian Warbler  1     Nice views of rather brightly marked bird.
Bright yellow throat and dark cheek patch.  Tried to turn it into a
YTWA, but no luck!
Yellow Warbler  2
Blackpoll Warbler  16
Palm Warbler (Western)  1