2023 Birding Trips to Texas, Arizona, and the Midwest with North Branch Nature Center

Sean Beckett

Dec 2, 2022, 1:54:06 PM12/2/22
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Greetings, Birders!

We'd like to share three upcoming small-group birding trips to US destinations coming up in 2023 with North Branch Nature Center. All three trips are guided by Chip Darmstadt. Great birds, great groups, and a really fun time!
If you'd like to know more about the itineraries and sign up, please visit northbranchnaturecenter.org/adventures-afar or reach out to me directly.

Texas Birding Adventure: Rio Grande, Santa Ana, and King Ranch
April 15 - 22, 2023 | $2850 | 7 people max
The Lower Rio Grande Valley in southern Texas is home to a breathtaking diversity of birds, with the breeding ranges of many just barely extending their range into the United States. From Aplomado Falcon and Buff-bellied Hummingbird to Vermillion Flycatcher and Green Jay, we’ll see resident species as well as plentiful spring migrants. And there’s always the chance for the unexpected – Roadside Hawk, Crimson-collared Grosbeak, Ruddy Ground-Dove, Northern Jacana, and Mexican Violetear are all occasional visitors to the area. We’ll also visit the legendary King Ranch and other diverse birding locales such as Laguna Atascosa, Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge, Sabal Palms, Bentsen-Rio Grande State Park, Falcon Dam, and many off-the-beaten track spots in this week-long tour of southern Texas.

The Best of the Midwest: Spring Birding in Prairie Potholes and Boreal Bogs
May 11 - 17, 2023 | $2500 | 7 people max
Prairie potholes, boreal bogs, enigmatic endangered warblers– birding in Michigan and Ohio has surprises around every corner. Our trip will take us to a wide variety of habitats including the open prairies of Oak Openings, the boreal bogs of the Upper Peninsula, and the pine-oak woodlands of central Michigan. With such a diversity of habitats, we'll see a great diversity of birds: Sharp-tailed Grouse, American White Pelican, Western Meadowlark, Dickcissel, Kirtland's Warbler, Lark Sparrow, Acadian Flycatcher, and Red-headed Woodpecker. With some luck, we may encounter Connecticut Warbler, Yellow Rail, and even Whooping Crane. A truly exciting week of Midwest birding!

Arizona's Second Spring: Birding the Sky Islands of the Southwest
July 29 - August 6, 2023 | $3500 | 7 people max
Magical, high-elevation "sky island" mountain ranges rise thousands of feet above the desert floor of Southeastern Arizona. Here, Greater Roadrunners and Vermilion Flycatchers dart among saguaro cacti and mesquite thickets in the low foothills, while Elegant Trogons and brilliant hummingbirds adorn the branches of montane forests above. Mexican Jay, Red-faced Warbler, Painted Redstart, and a host of hummingbirds enliven the beautiful landscapes. Arizona’s monsoon season is lush, green, and birdy, offering many species not seen here in early spring. This trip visits Portal, Arizona, the gateway to the famed Chiricahua Mountains, then continues through the Huachuca Mountains and Madera Canyon.

If your interest is piqued by these opportunities, we'd recommend letting us know ASAP, as our ability to run these trips requires a full roster for each.
Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you!

Sean Beckett
(he/him)
Program Director
North Branch Nature Center