yellow Scarlet Tanager

Rob Woodward

Jun 21, 2024, 4:10:06 PMJun 21
to NHBirds Group
Today at the Morse Preserve in Alton I found this unusual Scarlet Tanger.  Attached are pictures in the eBird checklist and an interesting article by David Sibley about "yellow" Scarlet Tanagers:

Rob Woodward
Laconia, NH

Allison Cook (aka Ally McNair)

Jun 21, 2024, 4:20:37 PMJun 21
to touc...@yahoo.com, NHBirds Group
Wow, very cool, Rob!

Ally McNair

On Jun 21, 2024, at 4:10 PM, 'Rob Woodward' via NHBirds <nhb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

---

Steve Mirick

Jun 21, 2024, 4:49:34 PMJun 21
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Amazing individual!  I enjoy seeing leucistic or oddly colored birds.  Very rare indeed.

This bird is somewhat reminiscent to an incredibly odd colored warbler I found last year in Concord.  A yellow warbler that is reminiscent of a Prothonotary Warbler, but which I believe is a Prairie Warbler:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/52941086289

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA

KC

Jun 21, 2024, 6:23:21 PMJun 21
to NHBirds
Wow! That's awesome!

Lori Charron

Jun 21, 2024, 7:07:52 PMJun 21
to touc...@yahoo.com, NHBirds Group
Way cool!
Sent from my iPad

On Jun 21, 2024, at 4:10 PM, 'Rob Woodward' via NHBirds <nhb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Bill Chaisson

Jun 23, 2024, 9:32:09 AMJun 23
to NHBirds Group
I looked up the Sibley article, which made me wonder about the genetics of this. Birdsoftheworld.org includes this information: "Feathers adventitiously replaced by all age/sex groups during summer can be yellow (Pyle Pyle 1997d, Pyle 1997c)." So, males that have a mutation that messes with the timing of the appearance of yellow feathers may end up occuring in the spring instead of during the summer.
W.P. Chaisson
49 Pedrick Road
Wilmot, New Hampshire 03287
607-220-7425