Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (29 Sep 2022) 60 Raptors

rep...@hawkcount.org

Sep 29, 2022, 7:21:51 PM9/29/22
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 29, 2022
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture011
Turkey Vulture17474
Osprey1118120
Bald Eagle5119121
Northern Harrier23434
Sharp-shinned Hawk18571576
Cooper's Hawk47474
Northern Goshawk033
Red-shouldered Hawk22222
Broad-winged Hawk1093129324
Red-tailed Hawk31212
Rough-legged Hawk000
Golden Eagle011
American Kestrel11104105
Merlin16971
Peregrine Falcon02222
Unknown Accipiter011
Unknown Buteo011
Unknown Falcon000
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor21617
Total:601055410579

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours
Official CounterLevi Burford
Observers: Meade Cadot, Melanie Haber

Visitors:
39 visitors.

Weather:
Wind from the west and cool temps.

Raptor Observations:
It was a steady stream in the morning. We had some good looks at non-migratory Cooper's Hawks and some of the local migrants that popped up around the watch. We had a great look at a local immature Red-shouldered Hawk today hit a flying leaf twice and then decide that going to bug a Turkey Vulture would be more fun. Poor TV! Non-migrants included: 5 Turkey Vultures, 3 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 Cooper's Hawks, and 1 Red-shouldered Hawk.

Non-raptor Observations:
Lots of passerines flying by the platform in the morning going unidentified. Migrants included: 101 Canada Geese 1 Common Loon 7 Northern Flickers 7 Blue Jays We had 4 Purple Finches, 2 American Goldfinches, and (maybe our first) 1 Pine Siskin.

Predictions:
Tough sayin' with little wind. Maybe good but maybe the migrant well is dry until a weather system restarts the process.

Report submitted by Levi Burford (lbbu...@plymouth.edu)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at: www.harriscenter.org
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]