Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (22 Sep 2023) 1235 Raptors

rep...@hawkcount.org

Sep 22, 2023, 8:03:30 PM9/22/23
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 22, 2023
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture011
Turkey Vulture23939
Osprey167779
Bald Eagle107275
Northern Harrier32323
Sharp-shinned Hawk76540550
Cooper's Hawk56566
American Goshawk011
Red-shouldered Hawk088
Broad-winged Hawk110499629986
Red-tailed Hawk233
Rough-legged Hawk000
Golden Eagle011
American Kestrel43740
Merlin94141
Peregrine Falcon11414
Unknown Accipiter255
Unknown Buteo022
Unknown Falcon133
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor01313
Total:12351090710950

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours
Official CounterLevi Burford
Observers: Amy Maurer, Annamarie Saenger, Chuck Carlson, Jim Pinfold, Judd Nathan, Katrina Fenton, Mark Archambault, Mark Timmerman, Meade Cadot, Phil Brown, Susie Spikol

Visitors:
74 visitors today including 30 Third Graders from Bennington Elementary School who got to see a few hawks somewhat close.

Weather:
The day started warm and humid and remained quite comfortable. A haze increased a little to only be able to see Kearsarge Mountain. Winds remained light from the east.

Raptor Observations:
It was a pretty steady trickle of the Broad-winged Hawks and Sharp-shinned Hawks until about 3:00pm (2 EST) when we got a nice river of 'Wings to migrate past our mountain. Including the 750 or so that we had between 3:15 and 4:15 we topped out at 1100 Borad-wingeds today. We enjoyed our 10,000th raptor just as the Third Graders from Bennington were leaving. Non-migrants today included 11 Turkey Vultures, 1 juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk, and 1 juvenile Red-tailed Hawk.

Non-raptor Observations:
Migrants included: 1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird The raven group grew to 30 at the end of the day.

Predictions:
I don't know what to think about this weather forecast. What had looked like rain in the forecast looks like less rain and maybe no rain. Given the push late in the day today, I wouldn't be surprised if there were Broad-wingeds moving in the morning. Sunday's weather forecast keeps changing. At this point it looks like we won't have rain for the annual Raptor Release. Remember to get your reservation if you are planning to come up!

Report submitted by Levi Burford (lbbu...@plymouth.edu)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at: www.harriscenter.org
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]