Engineering Design and "Get A Grip"

Kirsten Wiesneski

May 25, 2013, 9:00:02 PM5/25/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
After reading Appendix I, I would summarize the engineering design process as a multi-method approach for designing the best solution for a specific problem.

In terms of the "Get A Grip" activity, I think it did a great job of addressing the three core ideas of the engineering design process.  However, (like some other people have already mentioned) this process needs to made visible to the students.  Seeing the 'big picture' can help students realize what they're end goal/result is going to be.  Posters around the room that outline each step of the process could help students see where they were in the actual design process.  I also think this could help them realize how much work actually goes in to engineering a new product such as the iPod or phone they use all the time.  Even though they aren't designing an electronic prosthetic, the process they're following mirrors that of any engineer.