Elevator Speech

Eric Brunsell

May 6, 2013, 3:08:25 PM5/6/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
Let's hear it!  What is your succinct vision for science learning in your classroom?

MS-Gelhaus

May 7, 2013, 10:39:28 AM5/7/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
OK... here it is!
This course will guide students in answering questions of deep interest, naturally integrating a rigorous study of STEM subjects,
within our core area of 8th grade science.
Our STEM themes will tap into the natural curiosity of our student scholars and be used to drive learning across the curriculum.
Students will be exploring real-world problems and issues, developing guiding questions and investigations that will
reflect "their interests" which will stimulate engagement, because students have assigned individual meaning to their learning.

The course concepts/content will be based on the new eighth grade National Common Core Science Standards.

The course will immerse students in cutting-edge
21st Century skills and the Engineering Design Process
This immersion which will help to improve student achievement in STEM areas and help prepare participants for future STEM courses and careers.

Research shows that integrating this type of programming early in students' educational careers is imperative.

Amy Murphy

May 7, 2013, 3:22:13 PM5/7/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com

After five years of helping teachers implement the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), the Alabama Math, Science, and Technology Initiative (AMSTI) is proud to report that more high school students are showing an interest in pursuing advanced studies and careers in science! The AMSTI training, materials, and equipment provided to teachers in rural, urban, and suburban school systems has helped them develop learning experiences that allow students to learn science as it is practiced and experienced in the real world. As a result, students of different genders and different races, along with students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds have expressed more engagement in their science classes. This has led to more students pursuing advanced studies in science and entering science careers!

Marsha Ratzel

May 7, 2013, 9:12:13 PM5/7/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
Science in our room is about curiosity.  Figuring out why something happens or maybe how it happens. Science is about being able to use that knowledge to talk with other people and to be a literate citizen. Science in our room is about seeing how science is not a school topic, it's happening everyday, all the time, around everyone in the world.
Message has been deleted

HS LE Teacher and Assistant Principal

May 8, 2013, 1:28:15 PM5/8/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
Dear Amy,
 Congratulations! I would love to know your secret of success.  The how would put many of on the same course.  If you have any tips, i would hope you would share (if it is possibel).  I know five years is a lot of work with a lot of data.  Thank you for sharing. There is hope for us all.
Emma Sullivan

HS LE Teacher and Assistant Principal

May 8, 2013, 1:37:07 PM5/8/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
My succinct vision for science learning is engagement.  Without it, you can have all the bells and whistles, but if the students aren't engaged in what you are putting out there, there will be no learning.  The student should be the inventor, discoverer, etc.  We should be to support and give pertinent, accurate information.

Krista Decker

May 8, 2013, 3:02:58 PM5/8/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
Yes!  Student need to opportunity to see science in action.  If all we do is talk about science and students never get the opportunity to participate in the science, we are doomed to our past instructional mistakes.

Eric Brunsell

May 8, 2013, 9:31:50 PM5/8/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
great -- just one quick edit.  Next Generation Science Standards, not common core science!

Eric Brunsell

May 8, 2013, 9:33:09 PM5/8/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
Marsha,
This is a great "speech" - I love how you captured the importance of literacy to science.

nde...@gmail.com

May 11, 2013, 5:26:16 AM5/11/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
Listen in and here the buzz from the NEXT GEN science students as they dialogue about the science that exists all around their world outside of the classroom !

cobrien

May 13, 2013, 10:32:59 AM5/13/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
In the future, I hope to see a renewal in the excitement for learning Science.  Thinking creatively has gone by the way-side in the past years as information is so easily accessible.  Fewer people/students believe they are thinking new thoughts.  Students want someone to tell them the answer rather than investigating on their own.  The new way of teaching science is going to be problem-solving based.  It will no longer be about memorizing information.  It will be about understanding and using information to solve a problem.  Students have lost the ability to think beyond their own personal entertainment.  Being smart is fun.  Understanding how information is wrought leads to a deeper understanding of more abstract ideas.  We need to build and encourage these skills for the betterment of mankind.  The task is laid before us, it is time to pick up the reins and ride this horse.

Deborah Hilscher Middle School

May 14, 2013, 2:48:26 PM5/14/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
 My vision for science learning in my classroom is to provide the students  with the skills and experiences so they can think and communicate like a scientist every day.  I want them to question all they see, hear and do.  Whether it is what new TV to buy, whether to fertilize their lawn, what college to attend,  or is that news story credible, they should be able to research and collect data.  Finally I want them to be able to organize their information and communicate their ideas with clear, convincing, and credible evidence.   These skills will not develop better scientists but citizens as a whole.

Barbara Walton-Faria

Jul 23, 2013, 12:42:38 PM7/23/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
Educated engagement, excitement, application, and action!!!