HS Progressions

Jennifer Beth

Apr 23, 2013, 10:30:43 PM4/23/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
I like they way they "spiral" through the grade levels for the most part.  I fear for some of the longer gaps kids might have with some content (from possibly 6th grade->HS physics) but districts who are on top of things could make sure that there aren't too long of gaps between knowledge/content.

I like the way they have things clearly defined using the clarification statements and assessment boundaries.  This is especially useful for elementary level teachers who may not be the most comfortable with science.  I still become concerned with fitting it all in at the HS level.  We don't want to go "a mile wide, and an inch deep" into this stuff.  It's still a lot of content to get through and if all students should be responsible for this information?.....  oye, especially in life sciences.

Jessica Henze

Apr 28, 2013, 8:46:38 PM4/28/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
I questioned the longer gaps as well.  I'm not sure how well a student would remember their observations and ideas from 1st grade when they finally come back to it in 4th grade, this is all assuming that it is actually done in the earlier grades.

The idea of going deeply in high school has me excited, but scared.  There are many students that aren't interested in the sciences, and I wonder how this will play out with graduation requirements, college and career readiness, as well as the drop out rate.  Currently, there are only 2 credits required for HS graduation in science.  This is usually in the form of a general Physical science and biology.  Will the additional science standards increase the drop out rate?

Laura Luckasavitch

May 3, 2013, 6:15:50 AM5/3/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
They don't need to remember their observations.  Hopefully they will remember playing with tuning forks and flashlights and how much fun it was.  The "science" part can always be reviewed later on when introducing the topic again in higher grades.

I think this will decrease the drop out rate if done correctly.  It's no longer about memorizing facts but about asking questions and making connections to everyday life.  Show the student how this affects them and they will be interested.  Talk about cancer, identity theft, feedback from speakers, and solar cells to make cross-curricular connections.  It does take more time and effort by teachers in terms of planning and you need to be careful that you don't use up too much class time.

pdel...@pekinhigh.net

Mar 19, 2014, 2:03:35 PM3/19/14
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
I agree with your statement and realize in order for students to be able to do the evaluating as in high school, the knowledge base must be presented effectively at lower grades levels because otherwise we will have to lower HS standards to get them up to the "evaluation or communication level" that is asked of HS students.