Initial reactions to NGSS

Antonietta Quinn

Jun 4, 2013, 10:16:36 AM6/4/13
to ngs...@googlegroups.com
As an educators that focuses quite a bit on elementary science, we are greatly encouraged by these standards. We feel they are going to put science back into the elementary classroom. Currently, much of the school day for students is ELA and Math. Although those are very important subjects to master, many schools have left out the science instruction that integrates so well with these subjects. The NGSS is now written so that there are specific standards at each grade level K-5. So each grade level will be responsible for specifiic content. Not only that, the standards are written in a manner that is more performance based rather than fact based. So the students will have to "do" the science instead of just read about it.