How to import skin weights?

Eric Pavey

Jun 20, 2019, 6:38:56 PM6/20/19
to ngSkinTools user list
New ngSkinTools user:  At a new company, building up tools from scratch, looking at integrating ngSkinTools into our production.
One of the things I need is a bulletproof skin weight export/import solution:  I'd heard ng could do this, but I'm currently hitting some problems.  And I've not been able to find any docs on this, which is why I'm here.

I can select the mesh & export it's weight no issue.
But on import, it constantly fails.  One of the issues it, it seems to want the mesh to be pre-skinned before I can import the weights?  This seems to defeat the purpose of skin weight import?
Also, exporting\importing onto the same mesh as a test will cause the imported mesh to just 'disappear' during the import process. Seems to collapse it to a single point at the origin of the world.
I'm not sure if I'm just doing this whole process wrong (docs link?), or if this facet of the tool is simply not that robust.

Any suggestions here would be appreciated, thanks.

Steffano Richi

Jun 22, 2019, 7:46:47 PM6/22/19
to ngSkinTools user list

Hi, check my script tool for export and import weights maybe can help you https://encci20.blogspot.com/2019/01/exporter-importer-for-ngskintools.html

Eric Pavey

Jun 24, 2019, 5:47:54 PM6/24/19
to ngSkinTools user list
Thanks for the link.  I'll give it a look!