weight blended to classic linear conversion

david monteiro

Jun 24, 2018, 6:38:49 AM6/24/18
to ngSkinTools user list
Hello,

i have skinned my complete character in weight blended mode, but now i found out that because i have to export it to Unreal, classic linear would be better.

How can i make the conversion without breaking the painted weights?

Thank you

David

David Johnson

Jun 24, 2018, 5:07:40 PM6/24/18
to ngski...@googlegroups.com, david monteiro
Just change the attribute on the skinCluster node. Your actual weights wont change, but they may have a different result.
Were you looking for a way to modify the weights to make classic look the same as blended DQ?
It is not usually possible to get an exact match, but last time I looked there were a few 3rd party scripts around that attempt to bake any deformer into a standard skin cluster. SOuP was one. However I would not bother. Just switch to classic and put your skinning through a range of motion, then fix anything that doesn't look quite right. You might be surprised how little you need to change. Obviously the "candy wrapper" artifact is going to be the most problematic. Weighting alone will not fix that - extra joints will be required.

David