Maya 2017 and 2018 cannot load. it doesn't create button or shelf. please help.

James Barnette

May 23, 2018, 11:16:21 PM5/23/18
to ngSkinTools user list
I'm really excited to try this but cant get it to work no matter what I do. I have tried creating the shelf button by hand and it executes. I have checked the plugin manager and the plugin is loaded. Is there some command I can use to force it to load the UI?

looks like a great plugin but getting it to work is very frustrating and I have wasted hours now.

-hoping

-JBB

James Barnette

May 25, 2018, 2:42:14 AM5/25/18
to ngSkinTools user list
made shelf button that seems to issue the command ngSkinTools.ui.mainwindow import MainWindow MainWindow.open()

Doesn't do anything please advise.

viktoras

May 26, 2018, 2:18:25 AM5/26/18
to ngski...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Let's see what can be done.
Which operating system and Maya version it is?
How did you install it? (installer, manually, what steps taken if manually)

Can you run this diagnostic python script in script editor (python tab) ?

print "-------------------------------------------"
import sys;
from maya import cmds;
ngstPath = [i for i in sys.path if "ngskintools" in i.lower()]
print "Checking python path:"
print "\n".join(ngstPath) if ngstPath else "ngSkinTools not in path"

print "Checking plugin path:"
import os
ngstPluginPath = [i for i in os.getenv("MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH").split(os.path.pathsep) if "ngskintools" in i.lower()]
print "\n".join(ngstPluginPath) if ngstPluginPath else "ngSkinTools not in plugin path"

print "loading plugin:"
result = cmds.loadPlugin('ngSkinTools')
print "plugin loaded:", cmds.pluginInfo('ngSkinTools', q=True, path=True)

from ngSkinTools.ui.mainwindow import MainWindow
MainWindow.open()
print "-------------------------------------------"
This script will try in sequence:
* print out the python path setup for ngSkinTools
* plugin-in path configuration (if ngSkinTools path is configured or not)
* tried to load the plugin
* tries to open the UI

Let me know what output it produces, are there any errors etc. This will help with the further troubleshooting.

Thanks,

James Barnette

May 28, 2018, 6:38:53 PM5/28/18
to ngSkinTools user list
ok I got this when I ran it and the window did pop up.

[...]

:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ngskintools\Contents\scripts
Checking plugin path:
:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/ngskintools/Contents/plug-ins
:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/ngskintools/Contents/plug-ins/2017
:
# Warning: Plug-in, "ngSkinTools.mll", is already loaded.  Skipped. #
updatePluginCallback
();
plugin loaded
: C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/ngskintools/Contents/plug-ins/2017/ngSkinTools.mll
python
("from ngSkinTools.ui.mainwindow import MainWindow; MainWindow.resumeInWorkspaceControl()");
from ngSkinTools.ui.mainwindow import MainWindow; MainWindow.resumeInWorkspaceControl()

viktoras

May 29, 2018, 12:09:38 AM5/29/18
to ngski...@googlegroups.com
Hm.. everything seems to be in order, binary is loading and ui scripts too. Is the button you created working now? If not, look for any error messages.

James Barnette

May 29, 2018, 5:25:39 PM5/29/18
to ngSkinTools user list
yeah it seems good.I will let you know if I find any issues? are there some tutorials or anything?

DM Karth

May 15, 2020, 3:04:30 PM5/15/20
to ngSkinTools user list
Viktoras, I ran into the same installation problem. I ran the script you provided, above. Here was the result:

[...]

C:\Program Files (x86)\ngSkinTools\Maya2016-64bit\scripts
Checking plugin path:
C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/ngskintools/Contents/plug-ins/2016/par
C:/Program Files (x86)/ngSkinTools/Maya2016-64bit/plug-ins
C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/ngskintools/Contents/plug-ins/2016
# Warning: Plug-in, "ngSkinTools.mll", is already loaded.  Skipped. #
plugin loaded: C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/ngskintools/Contents/plug-ins/2016/ngSkinTools.mll
# Error: ImportError: file <maya console> line 17: No module named ngSkinTools.ui.mainwindow #

No window popped up...