Total weight exceeded Warning

3Dorange

Feb 12, 2012, 12:38:18 AM2/12/12
to ngSkinTools user list
Hi there,

I followed the "skinning layers: basics" tutorial and played with this
tool for the first time, and noticed I constantly getting this
warning:

"# Warning: Some weights could not be set to the specified value. The
weight total would have exceeded 1.0. #".

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Mostly it happens when I hit
"Flood" to smooth. It also has happened when I painted the layer mask.

Thanks,
Allie

viktoras

Feb 12, 2012, 4:03:38 AM2/12/12
to ngski...@googlegroups.com
hi,
I've uploaded a new build, where among other things, this one was fixed:
http://ngskintools.com:8666/browse/NGST-82

It might have been the one that causes your problem. Let me know if you're still getting errors with newest build.
--
viktoras m.
www.neglostyti.com

Breno Azevedo

Dec 21, 2013, 8:54:53 PM12/21/13
to ngski...@googlegroups.com
Hi Viktoras. I can confirm that the bug is still happening, yet now it only shows up after 'mirror' operations. It does seem harmless though, weight mirroring still working perfect. I'm still not 100% sure if it's related, but apparently when this error occur it does present a problem with mask mirroring. Some 'soft low' weights appear inadvertently and makes you think the system has gone haywire as a result.

- Breno Azevedo

Marcelo Meireles

Nov 9, 2017, 7:51:08 PM11/9/17
to ngSkinTools user list
Hi, Viktoras!
First of all, congrats for the amazing job on the ngskintools! It's the best plugin for Maya ever. Even they can't do better.
I'm trying version 1.6.1 and 1.7.3 for my studies of Maya, and I'm am having that warning every time I apply Mirror. It doesn't SEEM to mess anything, but it frightens me every time. All the joints are unlocked.
Thanks!

Andrea Canistra

Nov 15, 2017, 5:51:37 PM11/15/17
to ngSkinTools user list
Hi Viktoras,
Same issue for me..
 # Warning: Some weights could not be set to the specified value. The weight total would have exceeded 1.0
When I open the plugin and then I select the mesh this warning message appear, then all the weights are resetted and all the work done before is lost.
How can I fix it?

viktoras

Nov 21, 2017, 3:55:52 PM11/21/17
to ngski...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm aware of that warning message - just can't get to the root cause of it. Can you check if turning off normalization in skinCluster will make the warning go away? sometimes SkinCluster is reaaaaly picky about precise sum of all vertices. ngSkinTools will still attempt to normalize weights as usual, so should not change the behavior in any way.

in Andrea's case, it's a bit more scary, reseted weights sounds like a bigger problem overall - but this is something I was not able to reproduce.

musii...@googlemail.com

Mar 13, 2019, 12:41:24 PM3/13/19
to ngSkinTools user list
Hello!
Unfortunatley I am having the same problem as Andrea. Is there already a solution for this? Turning off the normalization didn't help.

Thanks in advance!