NGLess Version 1.4.0 beta

Luis Pedro Coelho

May 23, 2022, 11:47:33 AM5/23/22
to NGLess List, shaojun pan
Dear List,

I just uploaded a test (beta) version of NGLess 1.4.0. There are no huge differences wrt 1.3.0, but it should be faster and it updated the internal version of megahit (so, hopefully, the assemblies are better). There is also a builtin module for GMGC (Global Microbial Gene Catalog).

I am tagging it beta and still testing it, but the expectation is that this will be stable enough to release very soon. You can already run the beta, by downloading it from:

Or using docker:

docker run -it nglesstoolkit/ngless:1.4.0-beta1 ngless --version

*

The way that NGLess is built with its dependencies also changed completely. It uses the fact that nix now includes both bioinformatics tools and makes it easy to obtain static versions of tools to  embed.

HTH
Luis

Luis Pedro Coelho | Fudan University | https://luispedro.org

Luis Pedro Coelho

May 24, 2022, 7:27:00 AM5/24/22
to NGLess List, shaojun pan
NGLess had been a bit neglected for a while and there were a lot of little things that were out of date (including outdated documentation). I've been putting in some time in the last few weeks and also closing issues on Github...

Nothing major has changed, but rather there had been an accumulation of many little things that were a bit incongruent (I just fixed some code from 2014!). Thus, version 1.4.0 should generally be a safe upgrade and avoid many of these jagged edges)

Best
Luis

Luis Pedro Coelho

May 26, 2022, 10:19:57 AM5/26/22
to NGLess List, shaojun pan
While testing the beta, I fixed a few more bugs and am releasing it as v1.4.0-beta2

I think this should be good now, but I will run a few more stress tests and (hopefully) release on Monday/Tuesday

There are some other changes I want to make, but I think that'll wait for v1.5