[HELP] programming from scratch for nfc tags

Rachel RC

Dec 25, 2014, 10:34:02 PM12/25/14
to nfc-too...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
I'm doing a project for my final year that involves programming NFC tags. I am confused as to which software to use to program the tags from scratch. How do I start? All the posts I have read, only says to program using mobile applications. I also don't understand how to use libnfc and from what I understand, Open NFC is just to simulate an NFC-enabled device, which i dont need as I already have a real NFC device. I really need help urgently, could someone please clarify my confusion? Thank you for your time.

Philippe Teuwen

Dec 26, 2014, 5:36:20 AM12/26/14
to nfc-too...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rachel,

To format tags so that they are recognized as nfc tags you can use:
* as mobile application: NXP Tagwriter
* with a PC:
** for NFC Tag Type 4 / DESFire:
from libfreefare look at mifare-desfire-format,
mifare-desfire-create-ndef, mifare-desfire-write-ndef,
mifare-desfire-read-ndef
** for Mifare Classic (not officially a NFC tag but works with some mobiles)
from libfreefare look at mifare-classic-format,
mifare-classic-write-ndef, mifare-classic-read-ndef
** for NFC Tag Type 2: no need to format, just read the NFC Tag Type 2
spec and write the proper content with nfc-mfultralight from libnfc

I hope it helps.
Phil