Sandblasting a trailer frame

Wiess

Sep 5, 2011, 5:00:44 PM9/5/11
I have a 5 x 10 utility trailer that needs the wooden deck replaced.
I am wondering if I should sandblast and paint the frame while I am at
it. Would just rust paint be good? Does anyone here do sandblasting?

Brad P

Sep 6, 2011, 7:35:44 AM9/6/11
I think it would cost you a fortune to sandblast that. I would scrape all
the loose rust off and get some cans of bedliner and spray it with that.
Don't do where the wood meets the frame because the bedliner will add width.
Perhaps do those sections with Trimclad.

"Wiess" <wie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Brad P

jim

Sep 6, 2011, 8:28:05 AM9/6/11
On Sep 6, 9:42 am, "Brad P" <bradp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I think it would cost you a fortune to sandblast that. I would scrape all
> the loose rust off and get some cans of bedliner and spray it with that.
> Don't do where the wood meets the frame because the bedliner will add width.
> Perhaps do those sections with Trimclad.
>
> "Wiess" <wies...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have a 5 x 10 utility trailer that needs the wooden deck replaced.
> > I am wondering if I should sandblast and paint the frame while I am at
> > it.  Would just rust paint be good?  Does anyone here do sandblasting?

Another product called 'blackcoat'. It's wicked stuff if u can get
your hands on it. Primarily used as a chassis paint - comes in spray
cans. Nothing tougher - nice gloss finish as well. Excellent for
utility trailers.

Danimal

Sep 6, 2011, 10:21:45 AM9/6/11
Wiess,
You have several options-
Option A; Buy a 4 dollar wire cup brush or 9 dollar 60 grit flapper wheel
and 29 dollar 4-1/2" grinder and do it yourself in an hour
Or
Option B; Take the frame to SME or Atlantic Metal Coatings in Donovan's
Industrial park or M&M Offshore logy Bay road. Depending on your
requirements,all three do sand blasting, steel shot, glass blast, walnut
shells, baking soda or sugar blast. The cost will be approx $150.00

Wiess

Sep 6, 2011, 4:38:38 PM9/6/11

Where can 'blackcoat' be purchased?

Danimal

Sep 6, 2011, 7:11:03 PM9/6/11
Canadian Tire,
look for "Rubberized Asphalt Undercoating" about 6 bucks for a rattle can,
buy 2 cans and you should have more than enough to finish the job.

"Wiess" <wie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Wiess

Sep 6, 2011, 9:33:24 PM9/6/11
Daminal: Is this a different product? The undercoating I am familiar
with does not have a gloss finish. Is this a good product for the
axle and cross members? Just a gloss black for the visible portion?

On Sep 6, 9:11 pm, "Danimal" <danim...@thehollywood.bowl.ca> wrote:
> Canadian Tire,
> look for "Rubberized Asphalt Undercoating" about 6 bucks for a rattle can,
> buy 2 cans and you should have more than enough to finish the job.

jim

Sep 7, 2011, 7:12:48 AM9/7/11