Beet juice extract alternative to traditional spraying

xploreo...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2005, 11:23:04 AM8/7/05
Beet juice extract alternative to traditional spraying

by Linda Erskine

Paul Gaspar of Weed Man - Toronto is in a unique position. As owner
of a Weed Man franchise that covers only the GTA, Gasper works
completely under the City of Toronto anti-pesticide by-law that bans
the use of herbicides fro cosmetic use. So, he's had to look for
alternatives.

Gasper provides lawn care services to the grounds of St.
Michael's College at the University of Toronto in downtown Toronto,
and it's here that he's conducted trials using beet juice extract as
a fertilizer. Its secondary benefit: a weed inhibitor. Gasper has
been applying beet juice extract for the past three season on two
test plot areas, with some wonderful results - a visible reduction of
weeds on the lawns treated with the extract.

The 15,000- to 16,000-sq-ft. test plots have already had two
beet juice applications, with another two scheduled for the summer
and fall. The plots have been aerated, but have not received any
applications of granular fertilizer.

How it works

The formulation of sugar beet extract and seven organic elements
(18-0-5) is mixed in one part extract to three parts water and
applied to the area, with one litre covering 100 sq. m. The extract
binds to the soil, feeding the lawn over a much longer period than
traditional fertilizers. The best juice extract is absorbed by the
weeds and stored in the in the leaf's veins, resulting in a browning
of the other edge of the leaf and eventual death. It's effective on
broadleaf weeds like dandelion and clover, but can also control quack
grass and tall fescue, says Gasper. However, it does not control
turfgrass insects or diseases.

Billed as a turf management tool, beet juice extract is
registered as a fertilizer that just happens to help in the control
of turfgrass weeds, explains Gasper. Eight hundred Toronto-area Weed
Man customers are on the beet juice program, with more expected to
sign on as the by-law comes into effect this September. It's a little
more expensive than traditional spraying - about 23 per cent higher
in price - and it takes longer to see the benefits, bit it's an
alternative that fits in with the city's new pesticide by-law.

To get an indication of how well the beet juice extract
worked on the campus grounds, the remaining property at St. Michael's
College remains untreated, with the university's maintenance
department performing routine mowing, aerating and the occasional
overseeding duties.

Timely application tips

Are there any rules for applying beet juice extract? Yes, says
Gaspar, the weather. First there must be rain in the forecast for the
extract to be delivered into the soil and to allow for the absorption
of extract by the roots.

Avoid applying the beet juice extract on newly overseeded
lawns, and when temperatures reach 27 C or higher, as the extract can
burn the turf. Applying the extract correctly and at the right time
encourages good root activity.

The downside

The cost is higher than traditional programs. And, says Gaspar, it's
a lot easier and faster to do one or two application of traditional
control products than the four or five applications needed for the
extract.

Beet juice extract can also be a little tacky when first
applied, although this problem seems to be alleviated with the latest
formulations from the manufacturer, BJE of Montreal, Que.
(www.bje-distri-organic.com).

Beet juice extract also has a slight order. However, the
trade-off comes when adults, children and pets can walk, run and play
on the lawn immediately after application , says Gasper.

For Gasper, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages,
especially considering the limitations lawn care providers will find
themselves subjected to after September 1. "It's a fact of life in
the City of Toronto, and we have to realize that we're never going to
get rid of all weeds."

Lynn

Aug 7, 2005, 5:23:42 PM8/7/05
I heard of using a rhubarb leaves in a tea for a pesticide before

--
:) Lynn
OF+MMMMM

<xploreo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

xploreo...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2005, 6:43:23 PM8/7/05
Yes actually there are lots of alternatives:

Insecticides:
DE
Rhubarb leaf tea
Garlic water spray
Cooking oil
Cayenne pepper spray
Castile soap
White flour
Oregano
Cedar

Herbicides:
Beet juice
Molasses
Corn gluten meal
Vinegar
Salt

Fungicides:
Cloves
Cinnamon
Baking Soda
Lime

And I am sure there are many many more, I wonder why it is that people
still use the toxic chemicals on their lawns?

This would be a great place to post your recipes for natural garden
sprays.

David

Aug 8, 2005, 12:14:04 AM8/8/05
While I appreciate that there are some like minded people who live by
organic-only things, the treatments are often less effective, take longer,
and cost more... as in the case of the Beet Extract, for example.

I'll stick with my Diazinon, Killex, and so forth. And doing so does not
make me an evil, anti-earth home owner. I feel that am simply just not as
paraniod as others.

Cheers,

David.

<xploreo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

xploreo...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2005, 1:01:53 PM8/8/05
Sorry David, but Diazinon is banned this year because of the proven
toxicity and the 2,4-D, Diacamba and Meccaprop in Killex is under
review. You will have to eventually go natural as medical evidence is
causing bans across Canada and it will only be a matter of time when it
will not be available. No you are not an evil person, just ignorant.

Why did you feel it necessary to even add your comment to this posting?
I am not interested in an agument just natural alternatives please.

Have a great day!... and be careful of what you spray.

David

Aug 8, 2005, 4:55:36 PM8/8/05
Well - the only reason I comment is that there seems to only be a voice on
this group lately for the "organic" methods and not the proven and quite
useful "chemical" methods. (I use the term lightly, because most methods
are chemical!)

The PROPER use of chemicals such as Diazinon is not harmful to the
environment or to people. If you properly apply it, diazinon breaks down in
little more than a week in our soil to base elements... and will get rid of
Cinch bug (and all other bugs in the treated area). If you were to call a
"Weed Man", "Lawn Doctor" or the like, that is exactly what they would
use.... and Diazinon was sold outright until recently, so I, like many
people, have a supply for proper use.

I really find it funny that you call me ignorant just because I have an
alternate view than you do. I am quite aware of the options, the real
issues with SOME chemicals in the environment - but I am far from ignorant.
I read the results and studies of the chemicals I use before I use them ...
actually, I would guess that there is more knowledge about the environmental
impacts on the use of Diazinon than there is on the impact of using
concentrated beet extract. I contend that just because something was made
"organically" does not make it safe or "better" than a chemical created in a
lab.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree!

David.

<xploreo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Lynn

Aug 8, 2005, 6:34:47 PM8/8/05
beside the rhurbarb tea the only other thing I heard was using coffee
grounds mixed with citris peel to keep cats out of a garden. not sure if it
works but it came from a segment I seen on tv with a vet.

Brenda

Aug 8, 2005, 10:52:27 PM8/8/05
I think what she meant David, is that the chemical companies have enough
lobbyists without you adding your voice. Going just a little green is not
going to kill anyone although I'm not so sure we could say the same about
your methods.

"David" <usuk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

xploreo...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2005, 5:59:01 AM8/9/05
Organic methods have been around for centuries there is no third party
"proof" that synthetic pesticides, originally developed as weapons of
war are at all useful. They actually have caused terrible resistant
strains of insects not to mention the detrimental effects on the
environment.

There is no PROPER used of a banned chemical, such as Diazinon,
Diazinon is an organophosphate pesticide, this class of pesticide poses
unacceptable risks to health especially childrens health. These
pesticides do not break down in the environment, they may leave your
direct area, depending on your soil type, only to volatilize, drift or
contaminate water for an extensive distance. Many farmers are
switching to organic methods, however it takes 5-7 years to get
certification because that is the length of time it takes for the soil
to become detoxified from these chemicals.

Speaking to the Weed Man or Lawn Doctor is the wrong source, of course
these companies will make pesticides out to be fine to use - They
have to, it is their livelihood and they find it difficult to change.
Instead, try asking the Ontario college of family physicians, the
Newfoundland & Labrador medical association, the cancer society, lung
association or even your family doctor, these people, along with many
other reputable sources have nothing to gain from the advise they give
on banning synthetic pesticides, unlike the companies that are
promoting what they sell, these are franchise owners, not
professionals.

If you or anyone else has a stockpile of illegal pesticides such as
Diazinon, you could be charged, heaven forbid you be sued for putting
someone's child in danger. I think it would be smart to return it to
the manufacturer for a partial refund, while this option is still
available, or call the department of environment, as the only PROPER
use of this product, is to properly dispose of it.

The ignorance I refer to comes with not identifying the sources of your
results and studies. You obviously are not following the advice of the
results and studies of Diazinon as you are stockpiling an illegal
substance. The sad thing is that you are not just hurting yourself.

I absolutely disagree with you when people's lives are at risk
because you decide that your green grass is more important than a
fellow human being.

Gardening sould be a pleasure for all living thing, not a war with
nature using chemical weapons.

David

Aug 10, 2005, 1:35:01 AM8/10/05
I find the amount of fear mongering you do over chemicals astounding! You
call me ignorant then use terms like "illegal" in terms of diazinon... yet
in the same posting you even admit that there is continued, legal use of the
chemical.

For the record, this is from a site I quickly found using google, of course
I do not keep a record of which sites I read so it is not necessarily one of
the exact sites I had visited before deciding to use diazinon:

Environmental Fate:

a.. Breakdown in soil and groundwater: Diazinon has a low persistence in
soil. The half-life is 2 to 4 weeks [19]. Bacterial enzymes can speed the
breakdown of diazinon and have been used in treating emergency situations
such as spills [12]. Diazinon seldom migrates below the top half inch in
soil, but in some instances it may contaminate groundwater. The pesticide
was detected in 54 wells in California and in tap water in Ottawa, Canada,
and in Japan [12].
b.. Breakdown in water: The breakdown rate is dependent on the acidity of
water. At highly acidic levels, one half of the compound disappeared within
12 hours while in a neutral solution, the pesticide took 6 months to degrade
to one half of the original concentration [12].
c.. Breakdown in vegetation: In plants, a low temperature and a high oil
content tend to increase the persistence of diazinon [58]. Generally the
half-life is rapid in leafy vegetables, forage crops and grass. The range is
from 2 to 14 days. In treated rice plants only 10% of the residue was
present after 9 days [58]. Diazinon is absorbed by plant roots when applied
to the soil and translocated to other parts of the plant [13].
So, despite what you say, it DOES break down in the environment, and in
limited, proper use (i.e low concentration, non-aerasol, directed use) there
is little to no environmental impact. You say it takes 7 years to remove
diazinon from a farm soil? Really? Hmm.. a half-life of even 4 weeks, would
mean that after 7 years.... less than 2^27th of the diazinon would exist...
I would love to see your source for this piece of data. I will have to
assume you are referring to other pesticides, and not diazinon.

In short diazinon is a dangerous chemical. If you drink it, you will likely
die. If you get sprayed with it in sufficient quantity, you can get sick
and even die. If you mix it properly, apply it properly, it will kill bugs.
Doctors worry about inappropriate use causing injury; and fact is, that for
many people, improper use is the only use they know - so removing it from
retail stores was a decision made to protect people from themselves.

I have to comment on your last point:

> Gardening sould be a pleasure for all living thing, not a war with
> nature using chemical weapons.

Then why do you kill bugs and plants with chemicals at all? Either made in
a lab or extracted from plants - they are the same darn thing in this
respect... you can argue to safety of SPECIFIC chemicals, and I would love
to see some evidence of their danger. I also challenge you to, for each
"organic" alternative, provide research on its safety to persons and the
environment.

David.

<xploreo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

xploreo...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2005, 6:21:05 AM8/10/05
"I find the amount of fear mongering you do over chemicals astounding!
You
call me ignorant then use terms like "illegal" in terms of diazinon...
yet
in the same posting you even admit that there is continued, legal use
of the
chemical. "

------Nowhere in my posting did I say that it is legal to use Diazinon
- I stated the exact opposite.

------Exactly - Now you are admitting to it - You don't even know
your source, many of these studies are done by the manufacturers
themselves.

"So, despite what you say, it DOES break down in the environment, and
in
limited, proper use (i.e low concentration, non-aerasol, directed use)
there
is little to no environmental impact. You say it takes 7 years to
remove
diazinon from a farm soil? Really? Hmm.. a half-life of even 4 weeks,
would
mean that after 7 years.... less than 2^27th of the diazinon would
exist...
I would love to see your source for this piece of data. I will have to
assume you are referring to other pesticides, and not diazinon."

------I am indeed referring to Diazinon, Try giving health Canada a
call, I will say it again, there is NO proper use for Diazinon - It
is an illegal substance.

"In short diazinon is a dangerous chemical. If you drink it, you will
likely
die. If you get sprayed with it in sufficient quantity, you can get
sick
and even die. If you mix it properly, apply it properly, it will kill
bugs."

------There is no proper use - do you understand? Health Canada
declared it unsafe back in 2000 and have been phasing out remaining
stock up until this year - Where now it is banned for use and no
longer being manufactured.

------Read the Ontario college of family physicians report.

"I have to comment on your last point:
Gardening sould be a pleasure for all living thing, not a war with
nature using chemical weapons.

Then why do you kill bugs and plants with chemicals at all? Either made
in
a lab or extracted from plants - they are the same darn thing in this

respect....

I also challenge you to, for each
"organic" alternative, provide research on its safety to persons and
the
environment."

------I personally try not to use anything at all, and most of the time
have not found the need to, others however, like alternatives so I post
them and try to help out. Here is my proof that organics is safer - I
challenge you to a buffet - try eating or drinking some of your
concoctions, then try some organics - Actually do it the other way
around or you won't make it to tasting the rhubarb leaf tea.

There is plenty of evidence available, you however are not truly
interested in the evidence - First of all pop on Health Canada's
web and do a search for Diazinon - you will find - Guess what -
it is banned.

"you can argue to safety of SPECIFIC chemicals, and I would love
to see some evidence of their danger"

------I have this information available - I would love to provide you
with all of my research but over 7 years of research can't possibly
be pulled together in a few minutes. If you are truly interested, I
will pull everything together on disk for you, but will have to charge
for it as it will take some time. I will however, provide you with the
link to our group site where I have been compiling many documents and
article on this issue (a small fraction of what I have available), you
will find amongst this information the health Canada document on the
phase-out and now elimination of Diazinon, because of its health
threats to children. I challenge you to read through this site in its
entirety, then decide if you would like to contact me for a discussion.

http://groups.msn.com/PesticideGroupNewfoundlandLabrador/

Do you happen to have an invested interest in synthetic pesticides?

By the way, it is not fear mongering that I do, it is education, the
sad part about using pesticides is that you are hurting the people
around you - Including children and your Pure bred boxer that you so
fondly speak of - Just think about it.

Judie

Brenda

Aug 10, 2005, 8:35:18 AM8/10/05
I don't think it's wise to suggest to anyone that they try ingesting rhubarb
leaf tea. There may be readers that are unaware of its toxicity.

<xploreo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

xploreo...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2005, 9:12:49 AM8/10/05
I am aware of the oxalate acid content in rhubarb leaf tea, however I
was just making the point that there is no way any of the organic
methods come even close to comparison in toxicity to that of synthetic
chemical pesticides.

Actually, rhubarb leaf tea is not all that toxic, according to my
research 25 grams of pure oxalic acid required to cause death. Rhubarb
leaves are probably around 0.5% oxalic acid in raw form, so that you
would need to eat quite a large serving of leaves, like 5 kg (11 lbs),
to get that 24 grams of oxalic acid. Note that it will only require a
fraction of that to cause stomach sickness if taken internally.
Oxalate acid does not pose a threat through skin absorbtion as do
synthetic pesticides. 57,58,60,61

Also remember that heating (cooking or making a tea) will reduce
oxilate acid...But for now we will compare the worst- case scenario
and compare raw rhubarb leaves to that of cooked foods.

11lbs = 24grams of oxalate acid...That's 2.18 grams (2180 milligrams)
per pound or 16 oz (2cups)

For a 1/2 cup serving that would equal 545 mg of oxalate acid for raw
rhubarb leaves.

OXALATE-RICH FOOD ITEMS
OXALATE
FOOD ITEM SERVING (oz) CONTENT(mg)

Beet greens, cooked 1/2 cup 916
Spinach, cooked 1/2 cup 750
Beets, cooked 1/2 cup 675
Chard, Swiss, leaves 1/2 cup 660
Spinach, frozen 1/2 cup 600
Beets, pickled 1/2 cup 500
Cocoa, dry 1/3 cup 254
Dandelion greens, cooked 1/2 cup 246
Potatoes, sweet, cooked 1/2 cup 141
Kale, cooked 1/2 cup 125
Peanuts, raw 1/3 cup (1-3/4 oz.) 113
Turnip greens, cooked 1/2 cup 110
Blueberries, raw 1/2 cup 11
Currants, red 1/2 cup 11
Apricots, raw 2 medium 10
Raspberries, red, raw 1/2 cup 10

So as you can see, many of the foods that we eat regularly, have more
oxalate acid than that of rhubarb tea.

I am sure you are aware of the point I was making to David.

Judie

itsjustme

Feb 1, 2006, 4:28:53 PM2/1/06
Geez
hope this works
as I'm tired of all the cat dododo!!!!!!!1
will try later and see if it works

"Lynn" <lynn....@ns.spammenotsympatico.ca> wrote in message