DSL availability

cloud dreamer

Jan 25, 2011, 8:13:04 AM1/25/11
Is there somewhere to plug in an address and find out if DSL is
available in that area?

Thx

..

--
We must change the way we live
Or the climate will do it for us

SPAM***@nf.sympatico.ca Jim

Jan 25, 2011, 8:59:35 AM1/25/11
Your best bet is to just call Aliant.
When I was still waiting to get Ultra and / or Max I checked the Aliant
website and
it told me that even high speed wasn't available to me even though I was
currently using it.

"cloud dreamer" <Sa...@Resources.now> wrote in message

Corey

Jan 25, 2011, 2:43:34 PM1/25/11
http://bit.ly/fRv47U

Though, in my experience, this hasn't always been up to date. If it shows up as unavailable with this tool, call Aliant to be sure.

cloud dreamer

Jan 25, 2011, 2:46:09 PM1/25/11
On 25/01/2011 4:13 PM, Corey wrote:
> http://bit.ly/fRv47U
>
> Though, in my experience, this hasn't always been up to date. If it shows up as unavailable with this tool, call Aliant to be sure.

Thanks. It's says Ultra and Max are available, but I'll call to confirm.

:)

Corey

Jan 25, 2011, 2:52:06 PM1/25/11
Nice. I checked recently for me to see if i can upgrade my connection here in paradise because now work is paying for my internet, but ultra is the highest I can go :(

cloud dreamer

Jan 25, 2011, 2:54:52 PM1/25/11
On 25/01/2011 4:22 PM, Corey wrote:
> Nice. I checked recently for me to see if i can upgrade my connection here in paradise because now work is paying for my internet, but ultra is the highest I can go :(

Ooooh...that sucks.

:\

Todd

Jan 25, 2011, 4:53:19 PM1/25/11
I have Aliant Ultimate Supremo.

Corey

Jan 25, 2011, 5:33:22 PM1/25/11
Sounds like a new Starbucks drink....Venti Ultimate Supremo

DrewNL

Jan 25, 2011, 9:38:28 PM1/25/11
Well it's not "available". You already have it.

cloud dreamer

Jan 26, 2011, 7:46:19 AM1/26/11
On 25/01/2011 6:23 PM, Todd wrote:
> I have Aliant Ultimate Supremo.

I'm assuming that's DSL (older package?)

If so, how does the email work? Web based like Rogers?

Is DSL better than Rogers?

:)

SPAM***@nf.sympatico.ca Jim

Jan 26, 2011, 11:27:48 AM1/26/11
Actually CD, Aliant Ultimate Supremo isn't a real package...just Todd trying
to be funny

I have the fastest package Aliant offers (Max)...costs about $60 a month. I
can download 1.5 megs a second.
Takes me less than 3 minutes to download a 175 meg file or around 5 minutes
for a 350 meg file.
I don't remember the last time I lost connectivity.
Email is definitely not web based (Thank God) but you obviously can still
use web based email.
I use Windows Mail. With Max I can have 5 email addresses (I only have 2 at
the moment)

Here's the thing about DSL over Cable...if you have cable internet, the more
users of cable internet in your area will slow down your speed.
With DSL, the only thing that can change your speed is the distance you are
to where you are hooked up so unless you're in a mobile home, your speed
will be the same morning, noon and night.
I was renting my modem from Rogers for 5 years at around $10 a month. When
it started to die, they refused to replace it because it worked when they
tested it. Apparently they thought I got my jollies
lining up at their Austin Street location and then lying to the girl behind
the desk that my modem wasn't working when in actuality it was.
That same moment I parted ways with Rogers internet and went with Aliant.
Got free installation, a dedicated line and a free modem as well as 1/2
price for the first 6 months.
The dedicated line goes from the telephone pole straight to my modem (which
is also a kick-ass wireless router)

They also have cheaper slower speeds if you don't need to have your
downloads RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!

"cloud dreamer" <Sa...@Resources.now> wrote in message

cloud dreamer

Jan 26, 2011, 3:38:11 PM1/26/11

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

:)

DrewNL

Jan 27, 2011, 1:12:41 AM1/27/11
You should clarify...
...when you say "I can download 1.5 megs a second" I assume you mean
megabyte, but ISPs advertise the services in terms of megabit. If you
were paying $60 monthly for 1.5 Mb, I'd feel very sorry for you.

Todd

Jan 27, 2011, 7:36:59 AM1/27/11
I get 1600k/sec down and almost dick all up.

SPAM***@nf.sympatico.ca Jim

Jan 27, 2011, 10:05:20 AM1/27/11
Yup
At best I can upload 115k/sec
I'd gladly trade 200K down for another 200K up