best linux server distro

TKO

Nov 19, 2004, 7:39:39 PM11/19/04
Whats the best linux distro to run on a home server to host a few
websites, ftp site etc.
Heres what I have on cd:

OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4
TurboLinux Server 6.0
DamnSmall Linux
Storm Linux 2000
Suse Linux 7.0
Slackware Linux 7.1
Mandrake Linux 8.2
Mandrake Linux 9.0
Mandrake Linux 10.0
RedHat 9.0

Should I pick up the latest version of Caldera, TurboLinux Server,
Debian, or Slackware.

When it comes to Linux, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in myself.

Disco

Nov 19, 2004, 10:15:44 PM11/19/04
suse is best for newbies

Ian Samuelson

Nov 19, 2004, 11:48:15 PM11/19/04
I have Debian 3.1 (Sarge) on my server - I have no complaints at all

Easy to setup if you have some Linux experience, Debian experience may help
as well. Easy package management via "apt".

While I've never used any other Linux distro for my server, I've used a few
on my desktop. Debian is a sure winner for me

You can download a "netinstall" ISO that is roughly 30mb, and it will grab
files you need on the fly over http. Worked great for me

"TKO" <t...@mystarship.com> wrote in message

Al

Nov 21, 2004, 10:07:04 AM11/21/04
I use Debian. First distro I ever tried and its easy to set up and manage.

" When it comes to Linux, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in myself."

You should read the many 'how to' documents out there for linux. If you are
hosting webpages you have to read the security how to.

babumo...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2012, 5:06:27 PM9/27/12
Choosing best Linux distros depends upon your machine specifications,your needs and your knowledge about Linux distros.Every one has their own opinions about best linux distros.I have categorized them into various groups so that a reader can easily choose the best distro for his need.Read my article at
http://www.bestlinuxdistros.com/2012/04/best-distro-for-your-needs.html