For those planning on buying a new hard drive

Jim

Aug 27, 2011, 11:35:28 PM8/27/11
Stay FAR away from Western Digital's 2 TB green drives.
Bought one at Avalon Software and had to send it to WD due to too many bad
sectors.
They sent me a new one and had to return it due to too many bad sectors.
They sent me another new one and had to return that one due to too many bad
sectors.

What a piece of garbage.

fog

Aug 28, 2011, 11:51:53 AM8/28/11

Sounds like a string of bad luck there. Even for terrible quality hard
drives, you think you'd luck into a good one.

There seems to be some reported problems with these drives (i'm assuming
its the WD20EARS model?), however, I don't see as many complaints about
it as I would have expected from the NCIX product page. So, these
drives are working for many people so far.

This is kinda disappointing, I have sworn by WD drives for years, and
have never had an issue with them yet.

--
-fog

Jim

Aug 28, 2011, 11:58:20 AM8/28/11
Never had an issue either...until now.
I'm not overly pissed as I didn't lose any data.
Just a small pain in the ass.

"fog" <f...@goodtimes.st> wrote in message

cloud dreamer

Aug 28, 2011, 3:01:33 PM8/28/11

I've had nothing but problems from WD. One 500 gig external drive died
pretty quickly while a second is on and off working. Use Seagate now. No
issues with that one for two or three years now.

..

Borrall Wonnell

Aug 28, 2011, 8:00:24 PM8/28/11

I've had the opposite experience. I switched to WD after running into
problems with Seagate's 7200.11 series drives.
I've now got a couple of WD 2TB drives (WD20EARS) and so far so good.
Also a couple of 1TB WD Black drives, and Blue 640 GB drives. No
problems with any of them. YMMV.

Jim

Aug 28, 2011, 8:20:36 PM8/28/11
My first WD20EARS was just fine for the first few months and then
*poof*...bad sectors.
I have no choice but to keep trying unless I want to go buy a new drive
altogether.
When they send me another new drive, I'm gonna be worried about putting
anything important on the damn thing.

"Borrall Wonnell" <dbon...@gmail.com> wrote in message

David

Aug 28, 2011, 8:47:23 PM8/28/11
Jim,

Just asking here... but, have you plugged each new drive in to the same
power and SATA port on your machine??? Maybe you have an issue there, and
not with the drives themselves?

Also, are you mounting it correctly in the case with the proper screws, in
an actual drive bay, with sufficient cooling??

The reason I ask, is that type of bad luck with relatively good rated hard
drives is very rare... and may be a sign of something else going on.... a
2TB drive is going to be very sensitive to "environmental" factors including
torqueing of its case, insufficient/dirty power, excess vibration, excess
heat, etc.... and all drives will have issues with bad SATA connections...

I hope your new drive is error free for its normal lifespan... but as you
know (and I hope others who do not read this.....)

ALL HARD DRIVES FAIL. IF YOU DO NOT MAKE BACKUPS YOU WILL LOSE YOUR
DATA!!!!!

Cheers!

David.

Jim

Aug 28, 2011, 9:20:06 PM8/28/11
That's a good idea.
I'll have to bring it to a friend's house to test though as I only have 1
free sata / power connection.

"David" <saph...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Todd

Aug 28, 2011, 10:25:03 PM8/28/11
When you get the replacement just sell it.

Jim explained on 8/28/2011 :

Jim

Aug 29, 2011, 7:43:09 AM8/29/11
Can't.
I have a conscience and wouldn't try to pass off a potentially dead hard
drive.
Now if only those bastards at Avalon Software would reopen somewhere, I'd
happily chuck it through their front window and hopefully off the owner's
noggin..

"Todd" <yesbybuddyehby@wha> wrote in message

David

Aug 29, 2011, 2:26:58 PM8/29/11
Jim, seriously though.... why would you be angry at Bob Williams (Avalon
Software)? He was just a reseller of the item, and made likely less than $5
on the sale of the item to you. What has he to do with your issues with the
drives?

The drive was not DOA, and died under a warranty situation, which was
honoured by the manufacturer. From there, you have dealt only with the
manufacturer....

Misguided anger, IMHO.

David.

Jim

Aug 29, 2011, 2:39:08 PM8/29/11
Not angry at Bob
I'm angry at the French Canadian f*cks who bought Avalon Software
and then closed it down just a few months later.

"David" <saph...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Brad P

Aug 29, 2011, 3:32:30 PM8/29/11
Avalon Software as well as most vendors would have told you to just send it
back to WD as required by their warranty process. They conduct specific
tests on the drive prior approving a replacement. Not many vendors, if any,
can do that. Someone correct me here if needbe.

I've bought many drives over the years and have had 3-4 fail. Everytime I
just send it back using their Advance Replacement option (or another
vendor`s equivalent). While the replacement is in transit, I send my
defective one to them within 30 days. That way I get the replacement
quicker. I would never bother with the vendor that I bought it from (which
is usually an online store anyway)

"Jim" <***oobaka***@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

oobaka

Sep 2, 2011, 9:23:36 PM9/2/11
It turns out that it WAS a problem with my PC and not the hard drives :
(
I brought it to a friend's house and hooked it up and no bad sectors.

I'm going to build a new PC so I can use it now.

Thanks, David, for the idea that it may be a problem with the system.

On Aug 29, 5:32 pm, "Brad P" <bradp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Avalon Software as well as most vendors would have told you to just send it
> back to WD as required by their warranty process. They conduct specific

> tests on thedriveprior approving a replacement. Not many vendors, if any,

> can do that. Someone correct me here if needbe.
>
> I've bought many drives over the years and have had 3-4 fail. Everytime I
> just send it back using their Advance Replacement option (or another
> vendor`s equivalent). While the replacement is in transit, I send my
> defective one to them within 30 days. That way I get the replacement
> quicker. I would never bother with the vendor that I bought it from (which
> is usually an online store anyway)
>

> "Jim" <***oobaka...@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> > Not angry at Bob
> > I'm angry at the French Canadian f*cks who bought Avalon Software
> > and then closed it down just a few months later.
>

> > "David" <saphf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Jim, seriously though.... why would you be angry at Bob Williams (Avalon
> >> Software)? He was just a reseller of the item, and made likely less than
> >> $5 on the sale of the item to you.  What has he to do with your issues
> >> with the drives?
>

> >> Thedrivewas not DOA, and died under a warranty situation, which was

> >> honoured by the manufacturer.  From there, you have dealt only with the
> >> manufacturer....
>
> >> Misguided anger, IMHO.
>

> >> David.- Hide quoted text -

David

Sep 2, 2011, 10:48:44 PM9/2/11
"oobaka" wrote in message

Cool.. glad it helped!

David.

Jim

Jim

Sep 18, 2011, 10:56:17 PM9/18/11
The main reason I wanted to bring it back to the vendor (Avalon Software)
was that it cost me almost half of what I paid for the drive to send it to
the manufacturer.
Returning it to the store would have cost me the price of a bus ride.
Plus..it took Western Digital a FULL month to send me a replacement. It took
less than 24 hours for the drive I sent them to arrive and over 30 for one
to come back to me.