my e-mail is down/Compusult

David Dalton

Feb 4, 2013, 9:42:50 PM2/4/13
I can't get access to my e-mail tonight, or to
ftp access to public.nfld.com , but my web pages
are still there and accessible FOR NOW. If the
e-mail access is still off tomorrow night I will
give Compusult (who run public.nfld.com ) a call
on Wednesday to see if they have shut down their
public e-mail access. If so, it would have been
nice to have been given some notice.

--
David Dalton dal...@nfld.com http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.html Newfoundland&Labrador Travel & Music

David Dalton

Feb 5, 2013, 9:30:22 PM2/5/13
In article <dalton-0834DB....@mx05.eternal-september.org>,
David Dalton <dal...@nfld.com> wrote:

> I can't get access to my e-mail tonight, or to
> ftp access to public.nfld.com , but my web pages
> are still there and accessible FOR NOW. If the
> e-mail access is still off tomorrow night I will
> give Compusult (who run public.nfld.com ) a call
> on Wednesday to see if they have shut down their
> public e-mail access. If so, it would have been
> nice to have been given some notice.

I e-mailed sup...@compusult.net last night
from my backup gmail account and Cynthia Piercey
promptly e-mailed me back today.

It turned out they had e-mailed renewal notices
(for renewal by the end of January) in December
and January. I didn't get them, and I assume
that is because they sent it to me as a Bcc
and they, since years ago, filter out all Bcc
mail to me, so I only get e-mail that has me on
the To line or Cc line.

But this time they are charging $50 plus tax
for a year, which seems a bit steep to me,
even though it includes e-mail and web hosting.
I will think it over and may call them and
renew tomorrow. If not I will have to switch
over to my gmail account and find another web host.
I'd rather keep the continuity for now so I will
probably pay the $56.50.

Me

Feb 6, 2013, 7:32:32 PM2/6/13
On 2/5/2013 11:00 PM, David Dalton wrote:
> But this time they are charging $50 plus tax
> for a year, which seems a bit steep to me,

Seriously? $50 a year for email and web hosting is "steep"? You realize
that's less than $1 per week, yes? 13.6 cents per day?

David Dalton

Feb 6, 2013, 9:20:08 PM2/6/13
Yes, but there are loads of free e-mail sites and
free web hosting sites out there. Also two years
ago they charged me only $20. It is only
because I want continuity of e-mail and web
addresses and don't want the hassle of switching
over right now that I have renewed for one more
year. (So my dal...@nfld.com e-mail is working
again, though I get mostly spam.)

Also years ago the file space allocated for their
personal web pages was just 3 megabytes. I am
pretty sure it is higher now (I just asked someone
how high, by e-mail) but it probably isn't nearly
as high as some web hosting sites that charge.

David Dalton

Feb 6, 2013, 9:43:25 PM2/6/13
In article <dalton-4FFAF0....@mx05.eternal-september.org>,
I did renew, so my dal...@nfld.com e-mail is
working again and my web pages never stopped
working. (Also I think there was no
bounced e-mail, I just couldn't access it
for a short while.)

David Dalton

Feb 8, 2013, 11:29:35 PM2/8/13
In article <dalton-063FA2....@mx05.eternal-september.org>,
David Dalton <dal...@nfld.com> wrote:

> In article <keusm5$2fi$1...@dont-email.me>, Me <m...@buddy.joe> wrote:
>
> > On 2/5/2013 11:00 PM, David Dalton wrote:
> > > But this time they are charging $50 plus tax
> > > for a year, which seems a bit steep to me,
> >
> > Seriously? $50 a year for email and web hosting is "steep"? You realize
> > that's less than $1 per week, yes? 13.6 cents per day?
>
> Yes, but there are loads of free e-mail sites and
> free web hosting sites out there. Also two years
> ago they charged me only $20. It is only
> because I want continuity of e-mail and web
> addresses and don't want the hassle of switching
> over right now that I have renewed for one more
> year. (So my dal...@nfld.com e-mail is working
> again, though I get mostly spam.)
>
> Also years ago the file space allocated for their
> personal web pages was just 3 megabytes. I am
> pretty sure it is higher now (I just asked someone
> how high, by e-mail) but it probably isn't nearly
> as high as some web hosting sites that charge.

The quota now is 50 megabytes.