Sandhill Crane Goulds

Anne Hughes

Jun 5, 2022, 5:10:34 PM6/5/22
Apparently John Alexander saw and photographed a Sandhill Crane in Goulds by Raymond’s bridge this morning..
No other deatails
Anne H.

John Alexander

Jun 5, 2022, 6:35:41 PM6/5/22
Seen flying high in SSW direction near the bridge on Raymond's Bridge Road, Goulds ~ noon today. No sign of the Crane during a subsequent search of fields, marsh, and gully at the West end of Pipeline Road. Record photo on ebird @ https://ebird.org/checklist/S112216722.

Alvan Buckley

Jun 6, 2022, 1:35:14 PM6/6/22
I hiked 15km today along Pipeline Rd to the East Coast Trail and back up Shoal Bay Road. Mainly looking for local breeders for our atlas. All the expected boreal birds were present. I was hoping to find a new spot GC Thrush but came up empty handed.

Two kittiwake colonies visible along the short stretch of the East Coast Trail that I passed. Interestingly, there was an immature Iceland Gull with Herring Gulls at the very end of Pipeline Road where the pipeline spits out into the ocean. Maybe a spot to check in the winter for gulls if someone wants to walk that far!

While taking my boots off at the car (West side of Shoal Bay Rd) I heard the call of the/a Sandhill Crane. I was unable to spot it. I do wonder if it was at Third Pond as there is plenty of good habitat there. I checked it from the accessible locations but couldn't spot the crane.

AB