Cape May Warbler Explosion: Hawke's Bay

Douglas Clark

Jun 19, 2022, 12:00:34 PMJun 19
After forecasted heavy rains were delayed by a couple hours, I managed to get out for a couple hours this morning to finishing surveying my adopted atlas square, centred on Hawke's Bay. Most of my time was spent walking the first 3.5km of Farm Road - a forest industry resource road extending south from the community. This was a follow-up from a relatively quiet and wet morning there a couple weeks ago. In any case, with 41 species for the single location this morning, add it to the list of productive dirt roads on the Northern Peninsula. Not much to commend it as a migrant trap, but varied good habitats make it an interesting spot to go birding. Now that it's been graded, fairly accessible by car as well (though I was on foot).

Highlights:

Cape May Warbler - 9!!! Good count, though margin for error could permit an estimate of 8-12. +1 more at a second location not too far way. Visually confirmed 4 males, 1 female to make certain the heard-only IDs were correct.

Bay-breasted Warbler - 1, maybe 2

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2 seen in separate locations. Possibly a third heard-only, but I was uncertain of that ID. This makes four total I've found within the square.

+plenty of breeding evidence

Full checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S113250724

Doug Clark

Darroch Whitaker

Jun 21, 2022, 9:50:17 AMJun 21
Good stuff Doug. We're seeing lots of Bay-breasted Warblers here in Gros Morne this year, as well as some Cape May Warblers and good numbers of Tennessee Warblers. Also some Evening Grosbeaks which until the last few years were not something I saw here much in summer. All these are species that are known to respond to spruce budworm outbreaks and seem to be on the upswing with increasing budworm numbers here in Western Newfoundland.

Darroch
Rocky Harbour