Where now?

Shawn Fitzpatrick

Feb 20, 2024, 10:11:57 AMFeb 20
Is there another location where birding reports and/or conversations such as this google group, that has served birders so well for so long? I mean outside the WhatsApp "rare bird" sightings? A place of similar set-up for Bruce M's trip reports, or Ian J's, seagoing pelagic observations, etc..

Shawn Fitzpatrick

Martin Berrigan

Feb 20, 2024, 12:45:34 PMFeb 20
On Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 11:41:57 AM UTC-3:30, Shawn Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Is there another location where birding reports and/or conversations such as this google group, that has served birders so well for so long? I mean outside the WhatsApp "rare bird" sightings? A place of similar set-up for Bruce M's trip reports, or Ian J's, seagoing pelagic observations, etc..
>
> Shawn Fitzpatrick
Question Shawn,is this site going to continue,I hear reports it's shutting down but I am somewhat sketical.Everyone has moved to e-bird and I have noted that there is a major increase in people and they're description's,quite similar to what nf.birds has done for so long.Why!,people have abandoned nf. is beyond me,I followed all the expert's here,truly a huge Fan of the knowledge and the indepth discussions that have taken place here on nf.birds for year's and year's and year's.I still Love it here and I know that I post sometimes too much in Winter here on nf.birds but this is Home to me and until they shut it down completely with mass archives of information I will use nf.birds.It's real discussion on Groups like this that really take the aspect of bird's into a higher level.Hopefully!,more of the expert's will come back to they're roots and realize they had a following here that was thru the roof,people want to hear from them,hear they're expertise,educated us to a level I could have never reached without them all,they all know who they are.We still have experts here and most of all the birder's have become quite adept at they're trade.Long Live nf.birds.Gerard

Vernon Buckle

Feb 21, 2024, 10:14:51 AMFeb 21
On Tuesday 20 February 2024 at 11:41:57 UTC-3:30, Shawn Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Is there another location where birding reports and/or conversations such as this google group, that has served birders so well for so long? I mean outside the WhatsApp "rare bird" sightings? A place of similar set-up for Bruce M's trip reports, or Ian J's, seagoing pelagic observations, etc..
>
> Shawn Fitzpatrick

Hi Shawn,

It's a great question and deserving some answers. Historically, nf.birds has been the go-to for bird reports and news within Newfoundland and Labrador. As technology has advanced however, and nf.birds' limitations within Google Groups, more interactive platforms are at our fingertips.

In short, I would suggest Discord's Atlantic Canada Birding server. I liken the Discord communication platform to the Avalon Mall at its apex. Within the Atlantic Canada Birding server, conversations are available and are separated into "channels". Some channel examples are "Newfoundland and Labrador", "General", "Help Centre" and "Resources". Within these channels are sub categories like "Northern Peninsula", "bird ID help" and "eBird questions". There are over sixty channels available and any or all are mutable, receiving only the notifications you desire.

This is an amazing platform that's freely available to all birders. Admittedly there's a little learning curve but once embraced it is very useful. Discord has been the platform of choice for a number of years now in Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario. The current Whatsapp Rare Bird alert for Newfoundland and Labrador was set up the relay a rare bird sighting, and not for general chat. The Discord platform handles both.

If you'd like to join, please reach out to myself or Alvan to obtain the invite link. As well, if you want to join Whatsapp Rare Bird Alert group, let us know as well to get added there.

Vernon

Richard Thomas

Feb 21, 2024, 3:53:10 PMFeb 21
Hi Shawn, two of Jeff Harrison's sons are computer whizzes, so I asked him to ask them what the Google Groups header means -- i.e., whether it signifies the end of <nf.birds> as we know it. Their answer was: "no". Tomorrow we'll find out if they're right! (I hope they are.)
Richard.

Martin Berrigan

Feb 21, 2024, 4:31:24 PMFeb 21
Hi Richard can you ask the computer whizzes if they can explain what Usenet content is,probably it is only people using such content will be disallowed from posting and regular public is unaffected,please and Thanks.Gerard

Lem Mayo

Feb 22, 2024, 8:09:34 AMFeb 22
On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 11:44:51 AM UTC-3:30, Vernon Buckle wrote:
I did a quick "look around" on Discord, but did not see you there. Your analogy to the Avalon Mall is very accurate! Would you send me an invite please?