wind model indicating east winds for several days

ILJones

Apr 4, 2021, 6:37:43 PM4/4/21
the 'Windy' model is predicting six + days of easterly winds between northwestern Spain and Newfoundland (April 5-10 ish)

it is a bit early but this could bring something European to our eastern shorelines

ilj

Howard Clase

Apr 5, 2021, 3:29:34 PM4/5/21
They'll never find us in this fog!

David Shepherd

Apr 5, 2021, 4:12:43 PM4/5/21
Was thinking along the same lines, Ian.

It's a bit early into spring migration, even in climate-changed Europe, so I doubt if Greenland Wheatears are on the go yet. A likely contender could well be Alpine Swift - there's already an Atlantic island record this spring. Not the most difficult species to identify - hardly an "LBJ". Other southern overshoots could include Little Swift, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Rock Thrush, Iberian Chiffchaff.

Any thoughts yourself?

DS

David Shepherd

Apr 5, 2021, 4:14:01 PM4/5/21
Daniel's Point has been clear, so we'll take them here, Howard.

DS

ILJones

Apr 5, 2021, 5:05:39 PM4/5/21
Garganey

brucema...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2021, 7:24:03 PM4/5/21
On Monday, 5 April 2021 at 18:35:39 UTC-2:30, ILJones wrote:
> Garganey

brucema...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2021, 7:24:26 PM4/5/21
The five+ days of direct east winds from southern UK/northern France are intriguing. The winds are direct but not all that strong. I was thinking it would take a bird with broad wings and powerful flight to make it all the way across. Gray Heron? Eurasian Oystercatcher? Little Egret, Purple Heron or aerialists swallow or a swift – Alpine! …. During this entire time the winds will be blowing north from Iceland to Ireland. So Icelandic birds wintering in Ireland (e.g. Golden Plovers, Black-tailed Godwits, Redshanks etc) will be sitting tight in Ireland waiting for the weather to change. Look out when the weather does change to favourable migration from Ireland to Iceland. Should be a massive movement.
B Mactavish

David Shepherd

Apr 7, 2021, 7:29:53 AM4/7/21
White Wagtail?

Peak migration now. Long distance migrant between NW Africa and Iceland.

DS