Horned Grebes -- Biscay Bay

Richard Thomas

Mar 7, 2023, 2:08:44 PM3/7/23
At 3:15 p.m., there were 3 winter-plumaged Horned Grebes on the west side of Biscay Bay. (They were in the same area as the Common Goldeneye I reported earlier -- no sign of the Goldeneye today though.)
RT

John B

Mar 29, 2023, 11:18:25 AM3/29/23
On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 3:38:44 PM UTC-3:30, Richard Thomas wrote:
> At 3:15 p.m., there were 3 winter-plumaged Horned Grebes on the west side of Biscay Bay. (They were in the same area as the Common Goldeneye I reported earlier -- no sign of the Goldeneye today though.)
> RT
Around mid-day March 28th there was a single Horned Grebe transitioning to breeding plumage close to shore on south side of Biscay Bay, about 150 m past the log house. https://ebird.org/checklist/S132093736.
There may have been a second Horned Grebe further along the trail near shore but it vanished before I could get a good look. The closer one was joined briefly by a Red-throated Loon and there were three other RT Loons out in the bay. Also four RT Loons in Trepassey outer harbour with two feeding close to shore.
JB

John B

Mar 29, 2023, 4:27:53 PM3/29/23
..and I forgot to mention that Ed Hayden also had three Horned Grebes at this location on 18th March, including one in molting plumage similar to the one I describe above.