Carolina Wren Labrador

Paul Linegar

Sep 3, 2021, 4:49:57 AM9/3/21
Heard a rumor there was a Carolina Wren recorded on Battle Harbour, Labrador, yesterday. Would be a new species for the province if so.

Paul Linegar

Alex Merrigan

Sep 3, 2021, 6:21:24 AM9/3/21
These are the two videos put up on Facebook by peter bull, I'm not confident in the ID, someone else here may be able to confirm it.

https://www.facebook.com/628546546/videos/1469541956742160/
https://www.facebook.com/628546546/videos/202912501823666/

Anne Hughes

Sep 3, 2021, 7:06:57 AM9/3/21
Unable to view if not on facebook !!
A.

Alvan Buckley

Sep 3, 2021, 7:44:14 AM9/3/21
Tough to see on the video - but it shows a small passerine briefly hopping around on top of a wood pile. It has its tail held straight upward. In combination with the recorded song from a few days ago and a description by the observer ("rufous back and cream breast") I think it's pretty definitive that it is a Carolina Wren. A remarkable record! They have been slowly expanding their range over recent decades.

It was initially observed sometime in late August. Vernon is working on getting the exact date.

Paul Linegar

Sep 19, 2021, 10:50:38 AM9/19/21
I have not been able to find out who made the audio recording of the Carolina Wren (the video was by Peter Bull). Don't suppose anybody knows.
I was sent an extended recording of that wren's song which gave the impression the bird was a vibrant spring/ summertime adult.

Paul

Alvan Buckley

Sep 21, 2021, 9:33:04 PM9/21/21
Peter Bull took the video of the wren with his phone which includes audio.

I know Vernon was circulating an audio recording - note that that recording was taken from the video itself and edited by Vernon (including looping the audio a few times so it's longer than the video).
Lots of Carolina wrens singing around Hamilton recently. Just as vibrant as their Spring euphoria.