Avalon Loop May 7, 2022

Brendan Kelly

May 7, 2022, 8:43:37 PMMay 7
I had a great day birding the southern Avalon in search of rarities today. The weather was exactly what you would expect for early May. Rain, sleet, snow, wind, sun, cloud, and everything in between. No warblers or swallows.

Aquaforte:
1 AMERICAN WOODCOCK "peenting" and doing aerial displays before dawn. I suspect this species is more widespread on the island and encourage others to check suitable habitats like in the Goulds.

Ferryland:
Nothing unusual. Snow and rain made it less than ideal for birding.

Renews:
1 EUROPEAN GOLDEN PLOVER - On the burnt field on the North side of the harbour. The exact same place as in 2014. It was being harassed by 2 crows and was last observed on the beach directly below the burnt field.
0 Brambling - I spent an hour at 6:45am waiting for the bird to show up with no luck. It goes to another nearby yard that is not as easily viewable so it may have been there with 30+ goldfinch.

Bear Cove Beach:
~20 American robins eating bugs on the kelp line. No wheatears.

Portugal Cove South (PCS) and the first 5km of Cape Race Road:
0 Barnacle geese
0 Plovers of any species

Peters River Barrens:
3 Snowy owls. All of them were almost entirely white. One was dead and long decomposed.
17 caribou

It's good to be back!

Brendan