Ruff loses habitat due to flood!

Martin Berrigan

Feb 8, 2024, 3:19:54 PMFeb 8
As the crew who keep diligently feeding the Ruff continue they're journey the Spit at Virginia outflow got flooded and the Ruff went out on the ice,I heard reports as I was not around this week as I had to leave town about the loss of habitat.Well!,today he was standing in water at the Spit's highest rocky spot,there were five rocks just above the water but his Spit is slowly coming back.All one can do is throw down the seed and hope for the best,it's warm and the finish line is just around the corner ,I heard the Pine was seen today behind the Waterford,I saw the bird once and after I refilled his suet cage he loves I had the patience to observe for less then two minutes today but never saw him.Gerard

Martin Berrigan

Feb 11, 2024, 10:09:09 AMFeb 11
On Thursday, February 8, 2024 at 4:49:54 PM UTC-3:30, Martin Berrigan wrote:
> As the crew who keep diligently feeding the Ruff continue they're journey the Spit at Virginia outflow got flooded and the Ruff went out on the ice,I heard reports as I was not around this week as I had to leave town about the loss of habitat.Well!,today he was standing in water at the Spit's highest rocky spot,there were five rocks just above the water but his Spit is slowly coming back.All one can do is throw down the seed and hope for the best,it's warm and the finish line is just around the corner ,I heard the Pine was seen today behind the Waterford,I saw the bird once and after I refilled his suet cage he loves I had the patience to observe for less then two minutes today but never saw him.Gerard
Well early a.m it appear's the Spit is well on it's way back at the Virginia outflow.This allows for a much wider space to scatter seed ,also shallow water the seed sinks and some of this feed can only be accessed by the prodding thin long bill of the Ruff so then after the lot of ducks wind down the Ruff can easily forage for a long period of time.It looks like a easy month for February,hopefully this bird can be left on it's own to fend for itself some time in March.Gerard

Martin Berrigan

Feb 14, 2024, 11:31:17 AMFeb 14
It's storm day and with great support from the crew supporting the Ruff I have been supplied with bags and bags of feed and since I am close and this area is always plowed I am able to get mobile.All sites been cleared of snow,Long Bill at Quidi vidi was doing great in the early a.m as the wind was straight East and the area fully protected but on the second visit at 11 a.m plus a few minutes the site was full of snow.I have done three clean-up's at Dominion site as it is getting nailed but warbler's vocalizing and appear happy to see snow removed and with mealworm supplied by the crew to me I have been able to get Dominion warbler some extra mealworm while terrible out,of course I just leave let them and hope things are good.The Spit/Virginia outflow there are still many bare spots on the Spit so not so hard to spread seed about and edges of water,the Ruff is sheltering alongside runout,it is not cold out so he's fine.The Pine warbler site is getting snowed in and he also seemed happy to be able to access his food,hit the suet as soon as I cleared snow,saw his super white belly and banged around mealworm feeder and many came out to chow down on.South-side road site getting lots of action my suet is quite filled up there but they'll tear it to pieces today,two visits.So now I have a 2:30 p.m visit for the Ruff the parking lot is now not accessible,was at first light but hazard lights and run in and hope the tow truck does not take you while you are gone for three minutes.It's gonna be sunny by 3 p.m,that's my prediction.All in all it's going good,Kelly's Brook Teal were fed also and site cleared of snow and that area was getting lots of action also.Sadly second visit never happened as no where to park car,Empire there was not plowed but first light it was fine.Onward!.Gerard

Martin Berrigan

Feb 14, 2024, 4:24:14 PMFeb 14
Today at 5 p.m the Ruff was eating along the path just off parking lot as I spotted him on my way back from the Spit so I turn around to avoid him and walk thru three feet of snow towards other parking lot opposite Legion and as soon as I get to my car on the road every bird has left and flown over to the Spit,Thanks Ruff Not!.There were upwards of 6 thousand gulls hunkered down on the ice today,more gulls then I have ever seen this year.I finally made it back to Kelly's Brook and Lower Rennies so seven sites got attended to Dominion YTW four visits,then it rained but before you know it went back to freezing drizzle/snow.Same routine tomorrow as they call for lots of snow tonight but I'm sure roads will be clear and they might have plowed the Virginia outflow gravel parking lot by then.All the birds seem fine,the YTW's were vocal today but never,ever saw them but they never stop vocalizing on bad day's.Red cage at Pine site has been eaten to pieces,if there is any left by noon it will be lucky.There is a lonely cage down at Lower Waterford hint hint.Gerard

Martin Berrigan

Feb 15, 2024, 9:56:06 AMFeb 15
Just want everyone to know that the Virginia outflow is finally plowed woohoo,and the road to Long Bill is plowed,both birds seen today just then and never saw Dominion guy.It's warm out.Sadly they plowed all snow facing lake so no view except far East of lot and far west of lot.Gerard

Martin Berrigan

Feb 17, 2024, 6:39:15 PMFeb 17
February every single year never gives up too easily so once again it's back to the Storm clean-up first light for warbler's in the a.m and wind will be blowing straight East so Ruff will be at Virginia outflow behind that huge structure of tree's on the Spit.It seems so close to March where we get mild days and the true crunch of Winter just dwindles away but you bet!,February never fails,it's a tough Winter Month for birds but the crew deligently feeding the Warbler's and Ruff have them so well nourished it will be a walk in the park.I'll report the madness Live in the field early a.m and cross my finger's that it turn's to rain.Most storms I can get into the Virginia outflow parking lot early a.m first light before there is too much snow,really hoping I do not have to walk into the spit from the road.Gerard