Southern Shore: splendid and sober

Edmund Hayden

Sep 17, 2021, 5:57:47 PM9/17/21
Warm, sunny, light wind and no fog or precipitation for the entire day.

This morning Alison Mews and I had an ovenbird with common yellowthroats and chickadees in the alders just as you complete the turn onto Cutler's Rd from the highway in Renews.

I had 80 white-winged scoters feeding in the arm just outside Trepassey harbour, viewed from the open area on Powell's Head Road about 0.5 km from the start of the pavement.

In Biscay Bay at 12:30 while scanning 100 herring gulls on the sandy beach at low tide, I observed an Alantic white-sided dolphin stranded at the edge of the waves and thrashing its tail feebly in the sand and water. I put on my rubber boots to see if there was anything I could do to help but, sadly, as I was walking out the beach it died. I advised the Marine Mammal Rescue folks and posted a notice of the incident and photos of the deceased animal, including one of a puncture in its side, to Marine Wildlife Alert WhatsApp. Ian Jones forwarded the information to Jack Lawson at federal fisheries. A sober aspect to an otherwise splendid late-summer's day birding along the coast.