Probable European golden-plover - Cape Freels

John Gosse

Jun 23, 2022, 7:15:32 PM6/23/22
I hiked the 'southern bill' at Cape Freels today after finishing up my BBS route from Hare Bay to Newtown. I was searching for whimbrels that usually show up there around the first of July but didn't find any. Spotted a plover and upon closer look it appears to be a European golden-plover. It had a definitive white band from the head to the tail and white tail coverts underneath. I thought perhaps a pacific golden-plover but the bill size most closely matches a Euro golden-plover from the pictures I compared to later in the day. I had good looks from ~50 m with binoculars but unfortunately did not have camera (other than my phone) for confirmation. I alerted others to this bird so hopefully someone else will capture a solid picture. Lots of 'last years berries' on the barrens so hopefully it will stick around for a while.

John

Martin Berrigan

Jun 24, 2022, 8:12:29 AM6/24/22
On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 7:15:32 PM UTC-4, john_...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I hiked the 'southern bill' at Cape Freels today after finishing up my BBS route from Hare Bay to Newtown. I was searching for whimbrels that usually show up there around the first of July but didn't find any. Spotted a plover and upon closer look it appears to be a European golden-plover. It had a definitive white band from the head to the tail and white tail coverts underneath. I thought perhaps a pacific golden-plover but the bill size most closely matches a Euro golden-plover from the pictures I compared to later in the day. I had good looks from ~50 m with binoculars but unfortunately did not have camera (other than my phone) for confirmation. I alerted others to this bird so hopefully someone else will capture a solid picture. Lots of 'last years berries' on the barrens so hopefully it will stick around for a while.
>

> John
Yes!,many berries on the barren's.I picked a lot of cranberries after my last hike at North Head Renew's,brought them into my Aunt's house 92,88 and 86 year's old and they took them from my hand and started eating them before I asked if they were alright to eat.Birds do not even have to wait for a new crop,amazing fruitful habitat.Gerard