John Wells

Shawn

Sep 7, 2021, 10:25:11 AM9/7/21
I am so very sorry to learn of the passing of John Wells. It comes as a big shock this morning. John Wells, was always a person that was approachable and had the greatest enthusiasm in the birding community. I didn't know him as well as many in the circle, but I had occasion from time to time to talk with him and he was always caring and kind. He will certainly be missed by all of us, but I'm sure by none more than Bruce and Ken.
I always noted that the trio of Bruce Mactavish, Ken Knowles, and John Wells trips were signed off with BM, KK, JW. We will all miss seeing a part of that signature trio sign-off, but I am sure that John will always be in the car along for the rides in spirit. You have left a large void. I will personally miss seeing you and your jubilant personality out in the field when on the scene of the latest rarities, but we all know that one of the nicest rarities was always you. Rest easy and fly well, John Wells. You will be sadly missed.

Shawn

Frederick Wood

Sep 7, 2021, 7:10:09 PM9/7/21
We too wish to add our thoughts on John Wells. Just a few lines to support the eloquent words already written. The last time we were talking and birding with John was some time this summer at Virginia Lake (...looking for a solitary sandpiper I think?). With others present this became a wonderful stakeout, not just of birds, but other things like Newfoundland history. He shared his scope and we had a few laughs. I remember saying that when Colleen and I first think we are watching a Manx shearwater, we wanted John Wells next to us to confirm (or not) our success. It was a great afternoon.

A few years back there was a great flock of swallows late in the summer over Trepassey. There was just the three of us driving all over town trying for good views. John taught us HOW to use our scope and watch for the telltale brown rump of the cliff swallow in the flock. We found it. Always appreciated good teaching. Then he went off to Peru or Bolivia, somewhere in South America, to teach others there we bet!

John never lost the opportunity on occasions when we met to ask after MY students whom I had sent to him over the years from Queen Elizabeth RHS to his Physics classes at MUN. Such a warm and kind person who obviously loved his profession, never mind just birding and hanging out.

Our condolences to his family and all his special friends, especially those (Please forgive us if we refer here to those Three Amigos for example.) who always seemed to join him in finding some awesome bird (....like a great-crested flycatcher for instance) for all of us subsequently to enjoy. He was the person you would want next to you for his birding expertise, an offer of a scope view, and to just truly enjoy and get the most out of the birding experience.......and the human experience as well.

Happy trails John.

Fred and Colleen Wood

Richard Thomas

Sep 7, 2021, 8:30:28 PM9/7/21
On learning of the passing of John Wells, Jeff Harrison asked me to post the following message on his behalf:

I am in considerable shock at Bruce's posting of the passing of John Wells. John had a
very special charm, warm, friendly, genuinely interested in other people, and an excellent birder.

John was the first birder I met when I first came to Newfoundland in June, 1978. I was on the Port-aux-Basques Ferry, on deck, with my binocks and looking for pelagics as well as chasing down the passerines
that were hitching a ride on the ferry. John Piatt was also on the ferry as well.

John and I struck up a conversation and chatted the whole way across. In those days it was an 8 hour crossing. I still remember this meeting with John to this day. To me he was an instantly believable person, a very genuine character, someone, at least to a serious fellow-birder, who left a very positive impression.

I remember that John looked like an unmade bed. He told me he was on his way back from Panama. Given his appearance I would not have been surprised if he spent most of his time there camping out.
I was to soon discover that John, who taught at Memorial, took off after the teaching season to bird
far-off places. In that we shared the same passion so had much to chat about when we met in the field.

The last time we talked was at Long Beach a few summers ago. I believe that he was recently back from a trip to Siberia. That seemed to me to be exactly where John would go, taking off for "parts unknown" of little interest to most people, but a place on the map, often hard to get to, where comfort was not a consideration but interesting birds and a bit of adventure were likely to result.

The NL birding community has lost one of its most experienced and knowledgable birders.
I sincerely trust that his close friends Bruce, Ken and Paul, and other birding buddies who knew him much better than I, will recount a few of their field experiences with John, a suitable testament to his character, and to his special place in the Newfoundland birding community. Thanks.

Jeff Harrison

For myself, I was greatly saddened to learn that John had died; he truly was "one of the good guys" in every sense of the term, and will be sorely missed.
Richard Thomas.