likely RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER in pasadena

tina leonard

Nov 2, 2014, 10:13:33 AM11/2/14
my next-door neighbour (bill greene) here in pasadena just told me of a Red-Bellied Woodpecker at his feeder on tues and wed of this past week. i didn't see the bird (gah!) and bill didn't get photos, but he and 2 other neighbours saw it on both days. given that bill and one of the other neighbours are retired conservation officers, are familiar with the common nfld birds, and consulted sibley's guide while viewing the bird, i'm confident that the bird was in fact a red-bellied. apparently the bird was lively and aggressive, and wouldn't let other birds near the feeder. it hasn't been seen since wed (why didn't it come to my feeder!?).

tl for wg

tina leonard

Nov 2, 2014, 10:51:49 AM11/2/14
On Sunday, 2 November 2014 11:43:33 UTC-3:30, tina leonard wrote:
> my next-door neighbour (bill greene) here in pasadena just told me of a Red-Bellied Woodpecker at his feeder on tues and wed of this past week. i didn't see the bird (gah!) and bill didn't get photos, but he and 2 other neighbours saw it on both days. given that bill and one of the other neighbours are retired conservation officers, are familiar with the common nfld birds, and consulted sibley's guide while viewing the bird, i'm confident that the bird was in fact a red-bellied. apparently the bird was lively and aggressive, and wouldn't let other birds near the feeder. it hasn't been seen since wed (why didn't it come to my feeder!?).
>
> tl for wg

forgot to mention that bill says it was a male based on red plumage of the forehead and cap.

humbernatural...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2014, 12:39:08 PM11/2/14
Also a red- bellied woodpecker at a feeder in Pynn's Brook (a few kilometers east of Pasadena) last week (probably Oct 23). The owners were away but a caretaker saw it and I have just seen a frontal view photo showing enough detail to make the identification.
Lois
Message has been deleted