A Swift End

Catherine

Aug 30, 2016, 6:09:52 PM8/30/16
I received a text from Lancy around 6:00 to let me know there was a Chimney Swift at QV Lake. I got there around 6:15 and a few of us looked for about 20 minutes with no luck. Then Bruce let us know that he found the body of the Chimney on the Boulevard. It appeared to have been hit by a car. I have yet to see a Chimney Swift alive, but I got a very good look at a deceased specimen.

A polite reminder that if you see a notable species please put it in the header of the post. I checked nf. birds this afternoon but was not aware of the swift as the last post headline said Cliff Swallows.

Catherine

David Shepherd

Aug 30, 2016, 7:18:19 PM8/30/16
Hear, hear!

And as a follow up, when the "sora like bird" became a Sora. it should be promoted in a headline. NF.birds is becoming like a lazy habit on email, when one just hits "reply" even if the subject has changed.

Rant for the day.

DS
Message has been deleted

pdli...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 10:11:50 PM8/30/16
> A polite reminder that if you see a notable species please put it in the header of the post. I checked nf. birds this afternoon but was not aware of the swift as the last post headline said Cliff Swallows.
>
> Catherine

Sorry about that; didn't realize anybody needed Chimney Swift.

ILJones

Aug 31, 2016, 7:07:10 AM8/31/16
Ornithology (MUN Biology 4620) could use a dead swift for the teaching collection. And condolences...

brucema...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 7:43:47 AM8/31/16
It was a squished swift, blood and guts, eyes popping out, mouth wide open. Didn't think it could make a good biology teaching tool maybe for medicine.

we saved some tail feathers. Amazing wire points to the ends of each tail feather.

B Mactavish

David Shepherd

Aug 31, 2016, 12:45:07 PM8/31/16
That's why it's a needle-tailed swift and not a true swift!

DS

ILJones

Aug 31, 2016, 5:43:02 PM8/31/16
yes, we don't need a flat swift