Ice Chart!

Martin Berrigan

Mar 22, 2023, 4:28:36 PM3/22/23
It looks like the second round of ice with the perfect winds according to the weather reports should come into our shores on Saturday,and this time it should come with the ice in the coloured Red Zone which is very very thick sea ice at 9 to 10 feet thick with a Orange zone at 7 to 8 feet thick,just looking at the Chart.The Northerlies should push it down and the Easterlies predicted should bring that ice in solid to the shore.It may be later day Saturday but it looks like a great shelf of ice is coming our way.Might get a Ivory gull off Cape Spear late Saturday,and if you are lucky a Polar bear!!.Gerard

Martin Berrigan

Mar 24, 2023, 3:25:08 PM3/24/23
On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 5:58:36 PM UTC-2:30, Martin Berrigan wrote:
> It looks like the second round of ice with the perfect winds according to the weather reports should come into our shores on Saturday,and this time it should come with the ice in the coloured Red Zone which is very very thick sea ice at 9 to 10 feet thick with a Orange zone at 7 to 8 feet thick,just looking at the Chart.The Northerlies should push it down and the Easterlies predicted should bring that ice in solid to the shore.It may be later day Saturday but it looks like a great shelf of ice is coming our way.Might get a Ivory gull off Cape Spear late Saturday,and if you are lucky a Polar bear!!.Gerard
It really looks like this could be a massive ice shelf on the ocean with approximately 80 to 100 miles wide of ice pushing North it's just off Pouch Cove earlier today and with the strong Easterlies blowing a blizzard of ice onto our shores it should be here and locked in by no later then 2 p.m.It's too bad it will be snowing because if it clears up at all you may be able to witness the shelf of ice as it moves ashore.Let the small ice push into Conception bay and that will leave pure Red Zone at 9 to 10 feet thick,Brown zone 7 to 8 feet,and Yellow zone 4 to 6 feet,it's what dreams are made of.Now!there gotta be a Gryfalcon out there on Sunday between Cape St.Francis and Cape Spear,if there ever was a time to be scope spotting at Cape St.Francis,it's Sunday!.Gerard

Martin Berrigan

Mar 24, 2023, 3:28:41 PM3/24/23
I mean North winds pushing the ice-shelf South according to the chart,and Easterlies winds blowing right into the North-east Avalon.Gerard

Rod Bhar

Mar 25, 2023, 10:34:31 AM3/25/23
On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 5:58:36 PM UTC-2:30, Martin Berrigan wrote:
> It looks like the second round of ice with the perfect winds according to the weather reports should come into our shores on Saturday,and this time it should come with the ice in the coloured Red Zone which is very very thick sea ice at 9 to 10 feet thick with a Orange zone at 7 to 8 feet thick,just looking at the Chart.The Northerlies should push it down and the Easterlies predicted should bring that ice in solid to the shore.It may be later day Saturday but it looks like a great shelf of ice is coming our way.Might get a Ivory gull off Cape Spear late Saturday,and if you are lucky a Polar bear!!.Gerard

The way I read the ice chart from the Canadian Ice Service, I think the red zone ice is more like 30 to 70 cm thick, with 90+% coverage in flows up to 2000m across. I don’t see any thick multi-year ice on the chart. Hopefully the storm lets up and we can get out and see it!

Martin Berrigan

Mar 25, 2023, 11:01:23 AM3/25/23
Well this is the ice chart that I am following which states the red zone is 9 to ten feet thick,I may be reading it wrong but can you tell me if this is the same chart you are following.One last note,the ice is moving West and I do not think we'll see any ice this weekend.Here's the link https://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/cgi-bin/getprod.pl?prodid=WIS27CT,WIS27ECT,WIS27NCCT&wrap=1&lang=en.If I am reading it wrong,worse has happened lol.Gerard

Rod Bhar

Mar 25, 2023, 11:16:00 AM3/25/23
Yes, that’s the chart I’m referring to. The top number 9+ for section F refers to ice coverage in tenths not thickness. So 9+ means over 90% coverage. The third row refers to thickness. But the numbers are a code, they can’t be read as cm or metres. The first number for F is 7 which is code for 30-70 cm thickness. Rod

Rod Bhar

Mar 25, 2023, 11:21:59 AM3/25/23
I should add I am not an expert! I just studied the code called an “Egg Code” this AM.

Martin Berrigan

Mar 25, 2023, 11:29:14 AM3/25/23
I so appreciate the information,thanks so much,we live we learn,awww,I was really hoping for a solid ice field and the ocean current appears to sending the ice field West.Gerard

Martin Berrigan

Mar 26, 2023, 8:49:49 AM3/26/23
Sadly I have to announce that we can expect absolutely no more ice this year,due to been educated yesterday and then going to the site and reading up on the colour codes and studying the zone of ice,it is more open water now and no significant ice will make it past the far North of Conception bay ,every day you just see the decimation of what's left,sorry!,I was in left field when I should have been in right field,some slush ice will move in here and there with growler's and bergy bits but thats a wrap.Gerard
Message has been deleted

Martin Berrigan

Mar 26, 2023, 5:29:52 PM3/26/23
Up and down like a yoyo,my Brother just send me a video of a massive ice shelf coming towards shore in Middle Cove,it looks absolutely spectacular,how did I ever doubt myself,the video shows that you can watch the ice shelf as it is moving in exactly what I had thought earlier in the week,the video was two hours ago and it looks as if it may come ashore any moment,and this ice looks very thick from a far away video you can see waves smashing up against the ice shelf,woohoo,find me that Ivory gull!!!Gerard

Martin Berrigan

Mar 26, 2023, 6:26:51 PM3/26/23
Just went out for a look,pure slush ice and a few growlers.Gerard

Brad James

Mar 27, 2023, 8:59:59 AM3/27/23
Gerard you shouldnt doubt yourself as here in kelligrews CBS behind my house went from basically zero ice to ice as far as the eye can see over night...spotted a few seal pups and two murres stuck in foxtrap marina where the boat docks are

Brad

Martin Berrigan

Mar 27, 2023, 11:41:39 AM3/27/23
On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 10:29:59 AM UTC-2:30, Brad James wrote:
> Gerard you shouldnt doubt yourself as here in kelligrews CBS behind my house went from basically zero ice to ice as far as the eye can see over night...spotted a few seal pups and two murres stuck in foxtrap marina where the boat docks are
>
> Brad
Vindication hahhahahahha,Thanks Brad.Gerard

Martin Berrigan

Mar 29, 2023, 9:30:18 AM3/29/23
Rod was right on the money with the stated type of ice we would get,it's pure slush ice,of course within slush ice there will be a mixture of 4 and five foot pans of ice for young seals,just a mesh of melting slush ice sometimes compacted together by steady East winds as what happened in Conception bay,it appears the ice in that bay has somewhat diminished big time and a little bunch of ice came into Middle Cove and built another ice wall around the beach but not as significant as the last one.That's it for ice,next is ice-berg's,too bad Brad a Ivory never showed up in Conception bay.Eagles were hunting off the ice moving North past Signal Hill and Cape Spear yeaterday,it appear's it's a great hunting ground for eagles dropping the number's at Quidi Vidi lake big time.Gerard