small silvery fish

Edmund Hayden

Nov 5, 2022, 5:52:39 PM11/5/22
At dead low tide today, my brothers and I watched a thick-billed murre diving at Renews channel and gradually entering the boat basin where it feasted on a tight little school of small silvery fish. The murre kept diving after the fish , which would surface in a tight knot about a metre long and 50 cm wide with many jumping frantically 10-15 cm in the air when the murre was under water. The murre had the fish captive in the basin beside the rock wall there. At first I thought capelin but they seemed about half the size of capelin, and the timing of November 5 seems odd for that species. After the murre swam out of the basin, the fish did not reappear at the surface anywhere in the area. Does anyone know what these fish might be?

ILJones

Nov 5, 2022, 10:30:34 PM11/5/22
Sandlance, a.k.a., sandeels, Ammodytes sp.

https://www.gov.nl.ca/ffa/files/research-development-fdp-pdf-sandlance.pdf

this^ account is a bit garbled but covers it

ilj

Edmund Hayden

Nov 6, 2022, 6:10:42 AM11/6/22
Thanks Ian. We grew up in Placentia Bay where there were plenty of capelin but this was our first time seeing sand lance.
EH