Sad news for the birds of Quidi Vidi Lake

Gene Herzberg

May 26, 2022, 5:07:35 PM5/26/22
City of St. John's Media Relations has issued the following:
News Release

Thu, 2022/05/26 - 1:30pm

Construction Notice: Removal of Debris at Quidi Vidi Lake

Construction for the removal of gravel and debris at the head of Quidi Vidi Lake is set to begin this week, with work anticipated to be complete by mid-June.

This project requires removing any gravel and debris that has accumulated over the winter at the head of Quidi Vidi Lake at Carnell Drive and Clancey Drive. This work will help reduce the impact to recreational boating happening on the lake. This project is being completed by Coady Construction and Excavating Limited on behalf of City of St. John’s

ILJones

May 26, 2022, 6:23:14 PM5/26/22
"The fish and fish habitat protection provisions of the Fisheries Act include: a prohibition against causing the death of fish, by means other than fishing (section 34.4) a prohibition against causing the harmful alteration, disruption or destruction of fish habitat (section 35)"

ilwi...@gmail.com

May 29, 2022, 8:49:50 AM5/29/22
On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 7:53:14 PM UTC-2:30, ILJones wrote:
> "The fish and fish habitat protection provisions of the Fisheries Act include: a prohibition against causing the death of fish, by means other than fishing (section 34.4) a prohibition against causing the harmful alteration, disruption or destruction of fish habitat (section 35)"
I had a feeling this was going to happen, and lets be honest is is not to "reduce the impact on recreational boating" it is to accommodate the "Regatta gods" who still think the own QV lake. Time for a protest against this.

IW

ilwi...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2022, 7:22:20 PM6/6/22
The island is gone :-(