Upland Sandpiper, Long Beach

Jared Clarke

Oct 8, 2021, 9:09:22 AM10/8/21
Cliff Doran found and photographed an UPLAND SANDPIPER in the roadside grass near Long Beach late yesterday afternoon. Apparently it was last seen as the sun was setting in the grass ~700m west of the Mistaken Point parking lot, and well back off the road. This weather doesn't bode well for looking for it, but could ground it in the area for the weekend.

Jared

Frederick Wood

Oct 8, 2021, 7:28:23 PM10/8/21
On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 10:39:22 AM UTC-2:30, Jared Clarke wrote:
> Cliff Doran found and photographed an UPLAND SANDPIPER in the roadside grass near Long Beach late yesterday afternoon. Apparently it was last seen as the sun was setting in the grass ~700m west of the Mistaken Point parking lot, and well back off the road. This weather doesn't bode well for looking for it, but could ground it in the area for the weekend.
>
> Jared

Hi there,

Just an update on the upland sandpiper today. We ventured out on the barrens shortly after 8:00 am this morning north of the pile of rocks Bruce and Allison had left on the edge of the road west of the Mistaken Point Ranger Station to mark the spot where they had last seen the bird the previous evening. We were soaked to the skin in the wind and rain after half an hour. No bird to be seen. Ken Knowles arrived shortly afterward, dressed properly for the weather, and ventured out himself. Still no bird. Cliff Doran arrived and directed us to where the bird was last seen. Frank K. and Charles F. arrived and Charles trekked across the barrens this time. Frank stayed dry. Still no bird except a fleeting glimpse of a plover-like bird quickly moving away. Two American golden plovers walking across the road caused some mild excitement for a moment.

For the four hours between 8:00 to 12:00 the five of us drove slowly back and forth in the Long Beach area and even on to the cape. Eventually Colleen and I decided to have lunch at the rockpile as the others drove further on up the road. Then the bird casually walked out of the grasses and pranced along the road and just beyond the open window of the car. Got some great pictures. That site also has pretty good cell reception and was able to get off a short message on the NL Bird Alert. The others were back within a few minutes and we believe all were able to get some great pictures. We last saw the bird around 1:30 but others remained.

It was a great day of birding in the more basic elements of island weather. Rain and wind all day. We remained wet for most of the day but in the end managed to see a life bird and had a good time with other members of the birding community. It was also nice that the public washrooms at the Ranger Station site were available for use as the rangers were on site today!

Thinking anyone going for the bird might have to be extra patient and wait for it to make the first move. Jared made a good call in thinking the dirty weather might ground it for a while in the area. Good luck.

Cheers,

Fred and Colleen Wood